Dumaguete... other recommendations? Feb 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevalo

Registered
Reaction score
Before I commit to my 10 day Philippines itinerary, I was hoping to get some advice. Will definitely spend at least 5 days in Dumaguete region and wondering anywhere else to visit in the Philippines that hasn't been too adversely affected by Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan.

Should I maybe spend 5 days in Dauin + 5 days in Siquijor and just dive the hell out of this region?

Or 5 days in Dauin then catch a plane from Dumaguete or ferry/boat to some other region? Recommendations?

I hear that Dumaguete and some other places were not affected by the Typhoon, but anyone have more direct confirmation about this? Coron/Palawan was a priority until the typhoon, so we might wait till our next trip for that one. Anilao/Sabang we will save for a shorter vacation due to its easier access from Manila.

We are relatively new divers, but all dives since (and during) certification were under severe weather conditions (thunderstorms and swells). So no specific preference on the particular kind of diving, just hoping we have better luck with the weather so we can try it under the sun and in calmer waters. I have enjoyed wall/drift the most though with reef critters on the wall and patrolling pelagics on the blue.

Highly appreciate any feedback and advice! Gratitude in advance.

i hope your trip to the dumaguete region will involve a couple of days at/on apo island. consider an overnight (or preferably 2).
do not overestimate the damage caused by the very powerful but very tightly wrapped yolanda on the rest of the philippines. having been there i can tell you the diving in southern leyte (sogod bay) was minimally impacted by the typhoon if at all (now that power has been restored), and imho the diving in sogod bay is among the best if not generally the best in the philippines (aside from apo reef and tubbataha, of course!). and it is whale shark season to boot. there are a couple of interesting ways to get there from dumaguete - ferry to surigao (you can even check out the surf haven of siargao while you are there) then ferry to lilo-an on leyte, or back to cebu city and then ferry to maasin. i am unaware of a ferry at this time going directly from dumaguete to maasin, but i stand to be and hope to be corrected. i would avoid the impacted areas of hilongos, baybay, and tacloban. it takes a little more effort to get there, but once there is is a great place to be.
that being said, aside from siquijor the 2 easiest options from dumaguete are, and both well worth 5 days, moalboal on cebu island and alona on bohol. they are easy to reach and offer good value with plenty to keep you busy aside from the diving. assuming you have a dozen or so post-certification dives, aside from maybe, possibly, dives on coconut and mamsa on apo island, i don't think your lack of experience will prevent you from enjoying any of the dives on offer, or logging great dives.
have fun.

Last edited:
i hope your trip to the dumaguete region will involve a couple of days at/on apo island. consider an overnight (or preferably 2).
do not overestimate the damage caused by the very powerful but very tightly wrapped yolanda on the rest of the philippines. having been there i can tell you the diving in southern leyte (sogod bay) was minimally impacted by the typhoon if at all (now that power has been restored), and imho the diving in sogod bay is among the best if not generally the best in the philippines (aside from apo reef and tubbataha, of course!). and it is whale shark season to boot. there are a couple of interesting ways to get there from dumaguete - ferry to surigao (you can even check out the surf haven of siargao while you are there) then ferry to lilo-an on leyte, or back to cebu city and then ferry to maasin. i am unaware of a ferry at this time going directly from dumaguete to maasin, but i stand to be and hope to be corrected. i would avoid the impacted areas of hilongos, baybay, and tacloban. it takes a little more effort to get there, but once there is is a great place to be.
that being said, aside from siquijor the 2 easiest options from dumaguete are, and both well worth 5 days, moalboal on cebu island and alona on bohol. they are easy to reach and offer good value with plenty to keep you busy aside from the diving. assuming you have a dozen or so post-certification dives, aside from maybe, possibly, dives on coconut and mamsa on apo island, i don't think your lack of experience will prevent you from enjoying any of the dives on offer, or logging great dives.
have fun.

Thanks for the swift response. Considering our luggage situation (traveling from subzero temperatures and lugging around our winter clothes along with scuba gear), I'm not too keen on the idea of an arduous journey to Sogod Bay, although your recommendation has definitely shot it to the top of my Philippines bucket list (along with Apo Reef and Tubbataha). Yes, Apo Island is definitely a highlight we are looking forward to.

I'm glad you mentioned Siquijor... I've been intrigued with this island for a long time. What I've seen and heard of Siquijor is that the diving is great, but there seems to be generally less "chatter" as compared to other destinations in the Philippines. Having dove their before, what do you think? Just a day trip to one or two sites? Or stay there for several days? By the way, any idea when is the "firefly" season there? My wife is reluctant to stay on Siquijor because of its "reputation", but the promise of fireflies in the evening might just cinch the deal!

I was also looking at Balicasag, and I think there is only one hotel on Balicasag proper? Better to stay in Alona and make a trip to Balicasag? Any particular hotel/dive shop worthy of your recommendation (mid-high)?

There are so many great places to go in the Philippines so planning and decision is never easy. Sincerely appreciate your kind advice!

i have yet to dive siquijor, but it does not have a reputation as being particularly challenging. i did, however pay a 4 day visit to the island with my wife. the roads are in good shape and it is easy to get around on a rented motorcycle. there is plenty to see and do in addition to the scuba. i can't imagine either you or your wife not enjoying your time there, and recommend you spend a few days there. but then again, we were not the victims of a malicious witch. not sure when firefly season is.

as for alona, there is a wide range of accommodation, entertainment, and food available on alona beach. there is no good reason i can think of to stay on balicasag. all the dive shops go there and you surely will as well. the diving is good. i can not recommend a place to stay, but would tend to rely on the advice of others on agoda or tripadvisor. i heard that alona was not touched much if at all by the recent 7.1 earthquake, but i also heard that until very recently at least electricity is still sporadic. i would rely on beta from someone with recent experience, or find a hotel with its own generator.

bottom line, if i had only 10 days, 5 of which were committed to the dumaguete area, i would spend the rest of the time on siquijor due to the variety of things to do and ease of access. if you are more committed to nonstop diving, head up to moalboal, which should take around +/- 3 hours to reach from dumaguete, check out to check in.

if you need advice about dumaguete in particular, or dauin, or a resort or dive shop in the area, i'll be happy to pitch in my 2 cents.

as for your winter gear, leave it behind with reception as left luggage for pick up at your convenience!

In light of your helpful advice and after more consideration, we have decided on 5 days at Dauin (Apo Island, Siquijor, etc.) then journey to Alona Beach for 5 days (Balicasag, Pamilican, maybe Calibao also?). Since we will be flying in and out from Dumaguete, I will ask Dauin hotel if we can store our cumbersome winter gear with them and pick it up on our way back (thanks for the tip!).

Back
Top Bottom