Wet or dry for Galapagos in May???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Galapagos late in the year May to be precise.
I have a scubapro (whites) fusion dry suit however considering that the suit is painful to don and doff and having read reports of possible punctures I am now considering a 7mm wet suit. I believe this combination will actually be more buoyant than the 7mm but possibly have less drag (though the suit really is streamlined)
So my current choice is 5mm hood and 7mm wetsuit (looking at Body Glove Ex7) and 2.5mm neoprene socks (use full foot fins) plus 3mm gloves as I have a camera

My previous experiences with wetsuit below 20C have not been great I do get cold so am wondering will I survive this trip or should I go dry?

Is it really that hard to dive in the Galapagos with a dry suit or is it so hot on the surface that you overheat before going in?

Will I be ok with the likely 14C thermoclines diving wet??

Any suggestions hints tips appreciated

Here is what we say about the Galapagos dive season:

There are 2 seasons in the Galapagos Islands: Wet and Dry. They fade into each other so there is no strict dividing line but they can be generally characterised as follows:
January to June is wet season with sunny spells either side of the brief but impressive showers which can occur daily. This period has warmer water temperatures generally fluctuating between 20 - 28°C during this time. At this time of year you might get away with diving many sites in little more than a shortie and gloves (for holding on to rocks). However, some sites have specific currents that keep the temperature low such as Punta Vincente Roca where no human could comfortably dive in a shortie.
Dry season, more or less from July to December, sees less rain but is also cooler above and below the waters. Water temperatures in dry season are usually 16 - 23°C. This is when there is a strong chance of multiple whale shark encounters and is often referred to as 'Peak Season'. However, the colder water temperatures and choppier seas might make it a little uncomfortable for divers of a certain disposition.
The wisest course of action is to come prepared with exposure suits for a range of temperatures. Marine conditions are variable and it is better to be over-prepared than under-prepared when scuba diving here in Ecuador.
Often whale shark season is emphasised as the best time to come (June to November). However, many of those in the know contend that January to May, with warm water and sunny skies, offer the most pleasant all round Galapagos diving experience. This period seems to produce better sightings of creatures other than the whale shark, including a greater chance of manta ray encounters and the best hammerhead shark action.

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom