Where in the world to dive last week in August?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

Due to our work schedules we have the last week in August through Labor day to take a vacation. We have seen many great places that look really fun to dive but we are unsure of local dive conditions around the world for this time of year. Our experience so far is that travel agents paint a pretty picture of where ever they make the most commissions so I am turning to the experienced dive travelers on SB! Last trip was ten days in Maui with 5 days dedicated to diving and it was amazing! Any thoughts for dive destinations for our travel dates? (Maldives, Philippines, Costa Rica, Tulum...etc?!?!?!?)

and yes....we are searching the web and reading about locations as well.

Thanks in advance!

Palau around that time, not only for the spectacular wall/reef/ and pelagic diving, but also for the sobering WWII history (official ceremonies commemorating 70th anniversary of US Marines at the Battle of Peleliu).

Using USA Territory of Guam as your hub, island hop across tropical Micronesia/Oceania/Australia/SE Asia.

Easy "Beginner Itinerary" to start: The incredible walls, corals, schooling big fish/pelagics/sharks & drift dives of Palau, then Guam hub, and finally to the beautiful soft coral adorned Truk Lagoon WWII Wrecks in Chuuk. No currency exchange needed -all use US dollars. Flights are easy to book online with United Airlines out of mainland Pacific Gateways such as San Francisco/Los Angeles -or even Denver to Tokyo whenever they get that Dreamliner 787 fixed. Whatever is left in the travel budget, add a couple days stopover in Oahu/Pearl Harbor/Honolulu-Waikiki Beach on the way back to the mainland to gradually "re-acclimatize" back to hectic urban life. . .

Palau Visitors Authority - About Pala
u
Guam travel guide - Wikitravel
MDA Aquaquest Travel

Spa stuff for the female dive buddy in Palau:
Palau Pacific Resort Villas | Palau Spa and Massage | Palau Packages

Sam's Tours: Palau Diving Micronesia, Island Hopping and dive travels

Ocean Hunter I & III - Palau's most luxurious liveaboards

Truk Stop Dive-ops
Scuba Diving Truk Lagoon Aboard Odyssey. The best way to explore Truk Lagoon in Micronesia

My usual dive dedicated trips have been during the winter so I usually head to the Caribbean, however if I was doing a trip in August, like I did in 2010 I would for sure head right back to The Big Island. I loved diving there, and can't wait to go back, I just won't go there during the heart of Winter because if I'm traveling I want the water to be 78F or warmer :) If you liked Maui diving, you will LOVE Big Island diving. Next time I go except for maybe one boat trip with KDC, I will spend the rest of the time shore diving. Just my .02.

August in Carribean is Hurricane season so keep that in mind.

With your complete Caven/Cave Diver class do you include sidemount and advanced sidemount training as part of this or is it additional? I was reading about the class and am interested but need to do more research about all that is involved. (ie training/experience requirements, additional equip needed, time to complete, instructor expereince...etc.)

The Big Island is never a mistake. Kona Dive Company is awesome.
If you have time and want something different, you could also pop over to Kauai and do the Ni ihau dive. I haven't done it since I'm never there in the summer...but everyone I know who has done it raves.
I don't know too much about the Caribbean in summer except that Toabgo and Bonaire should both be outside the Hurricane Belt. Bonaire isn't rainy that time of year, but I don't know about Tobago.
Its off season in Roatan, but I the weather and viz has always cooperated when I've been there in the summer (all two times). Maybe it was a little rougher on the water, but not so I could say for certain.
I just realized I'm rambling. I'll stop now.
Melissa

August in Carribean is Hurricane season so keep that in mind.

Bit early for hurricanes - they normally don't really kick in until late September.

But it is "out of season" for tourists, so the good thing is you get cheap deals, the bad thing is that often times a lot of stuff is closed.

We had a blast on Cozumel for the Labour Day week, it was hot, but fun. The whale sharks should be around then too!

Back
Top Bottom