Hate paying airline add-on fees? This NYT article might change your mind.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
From a New York Times article published today:

... nearly every major American carrier’s entry into bankruptcy court since 2001. Since deregulation, the domestic airline industry has lost more money than it has made. In fact, it lost more money from 2001 through 2006 than its cumulative inflation-adjusted profits since 1947. For decades, airlines have served as vehicles to transfer wealth from investors to employees and customers; neither passengers nor employee unions could expect that to continue forever. [emphasis added]
I'd love to post the entire article here, but it would violate the NYT's copyright. So here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/09/u...-a-smile.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&src=ig&_r=0

At some point, the link will be broken, and so for the benefit of future readers, the article's thesis is the fares have fallen so much in inflation-adjusted dollars that, even with the add-on fees, airline fares are low by historic standards.

Another quote:

After adjusting for inflation and adding in baggage and change fees, domestic airfares excluding taxes have risen 16 percent since 2005, but they are still 39 percent lower than they were in 1980.

The article makes the point that "unbundling" the price for different services allows the passenger to pay for only what he uses. Don't eat meals? Don't have to pay for them. Don't have a bag to check. Don't have to pay for it.

The news in the article is that Frontier Airlines is now charging a fee for carry-on suitcases, and the article argues that such a fee is fair and sensible.

Just tell me what my ticket is going to cost. Do NOT surprise me at the airport with a boarding pass fee, carry on fee, meal fee, drink fee, luggage fee, seating fee, etc. I will need a boarding pass. I have to have one to get on the plane. Print me one. I don't care where I sit, but the skinny lady next to me might. My wife is used to sitting next to me, so either make it general boarding, or let me pick my steerage seat next to my wife. I'm going to pay an airport tax, customs fee, departure tax, etc. Include it in the ticket, you will handle the money anyway. The airline will make more money charging everyone for 2 bags, so include it. Just bump every ticket price 50 bucks, and let everyone have 2 bags.

The fees don't bother me nearly as much as the frigging whining at the gate, however. Everyone wants to try to sneak something by. Everyone thinks that the airline didn't mean them. Lady, I don't care if your carryon has the laptop, lunch, and the crown jewels. It's too big, it has to be gate checked. Shut up, get on the plane, and stop your bellyaching.

Everyone wants to try to sneak something by. Everyone thinks that the airline didn't mean them. Lady, I don't care if your carryon has the laptop, lunch, and the crown jewels. It's too big, it has to be gate checked. Shut up, get on the plane, and stop your bellyaching.

Couldn't have put it better. I've got a few other beefs, as well, but I'll wait til we have some more posts just to see if others are with me :)

With Wookie on this. Just make the base rate inclusive of all of the "normal" things that should be included in that flight. Hate getting nickle and dimed to death.

The idea that charging for extra bags is justified by the "extra weight" that they use is BS. My partner weighs about 100lb I weigh more :) average for my height. So based on the weight she should get a discount I should pay the base rate and Wookie should pay a premium. Silly, give us a reasonable weight limit included in the fair and charge more for those that need more.

All of this "extra charging" is creating a very uncomfortable flying experience. The queuing process at the gate to get the limited overhead bins is becoming unbearable.

Just tell me what my ticket is going to cost. Do NOT surprise me at the airport with a boarding pass fee, carry on fee, meal fee, drink fee, luggage fee, seating fee, etc. I will need a boarding pass. I have to have one to get on the plane. Print me one. I don't care where I sit, but the skinny lady next to me might. My wife is used to sitting next to me, so either make it general boarding, or let me pick my steerage seat next to my wife. I'm going to pay an airport tax, customs fee, departure tax, etc. Include it in the ticket, you will handle the money anyway. The airline will make more money charging everyone for 2 bags, so include it. Just bump every ticket price 50 bucks, and let everyone have 2 bags.

The fees don't bother me nearly as much as the frigging whining at the gate, however. Everyone wants to try to sneak something by. Everyone thinks that the airline didn't mean them. Lady, I don't care if your carryon has the laptop, lunch, and the crown jewels. It's too big, it has to be gate checked. Shut up, get on the plane, and stop your bellyaching.

should the airline also automatically charge all passengers for being 10lbs over the weight limit for checked bags? or, 20lbs?

should the airline also automatically charge all passengers for being 10lbs over the weight limit for checked bags? or, 20lbs?

The airlines have always charged an overweight fee for bags over 70 lbs, justifying it based on what OSHA says a healthy employee can lift without help. Somehow that's now 50 lbs, based on revenue.

So, yes.

I hate being nickeled and dimed in anything. But my biggest beef is that, if the airlines are going to charge me to provide me with food, why the *&^% not carry food that I would actually like to EAT? Since I'm going to pay for it anyway?

I hate being nickeled and dimed in anything. But my biggest beef is that, if the airlines are going to charge me to provide me with food, why the *&^% not carry food that I would actually like to EAT? Since I'm going to pay for it anyway?
I go the other way airline food. It's crap. I am not going to eat it. I am glad I do not have to pay for it.

But the free booze if you ever get to sit up front is nice. And the pods are great on overnight flights.

The idea that charging for extra bags is justified by the "extra weight" that they use is BS. My partner weighs about 100lb I weigh more :) average for my height. So based on the weight she should get a discount I should pay the base rate and Wookie should pay a premium. Silly, give us a reasonable weight limit included in the fair and charge more for those that need more.

I'm OK with that, however. Maybe planes work differently than boats, but I honestly can't tell the difference between 69 tons and 75 tons. if someone or their luggage weighs an additional 8,000 lbs, I just pump the bilges down and make up for it. Now, I can really tell the difference between 8 knots and 12 knots. I can no longer afford 15 knots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom