Diving Key Largo Feb. 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsdp515

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning a dive trip to Key Largo next winter. I will be getting my AOW soon so I can dive the wrecks. I have been in contact with a dive op, sail fish scuba. Looking for suggestions for a good, affordable place to stay since it's my college graduation trip and I'm open to ideas on other dive ops.

I was just down there in May for Key west and 4 days in Key Largo. We used Ocean Divers and thought it was well run. No issues at all. Had a great time. Did my AOW while I was down there. We went with a local dive shop from up here.

"Good" and "Affordable" may not be compatible. Your taste and funds may dictate otherwise, but my wife and I have always enjoyed the small motel-like places that are hold-overs from the 1950's. They are one story high and have shade from a variety of trees. Much less expensive and enjoyable than a hotel, IMHO. But, then again, they are not modern hotels. Have a look. All listed here are on the bay side of the Keys. There are other such places, but we have not stayed at them.
Bay Harbor Lodge and Coconut Bay Resort
http://www.rockreefresort.com/
Coconut Bay Resort

Also, be aware that the water in January and February can be chillier than you might expect.

"Bay Harbor Lodge"...

All I can think of is Bay Harbor Butcher from Dexter.....and it wasn't that far away....LOL

The Courtyard Key Largo (Marriott) and Holiday Inn Key Largo are both good hotels and decently priced. I, however, typically stay at the Rodeway Inn (Hotels in Key Largo, Florida -- Rodeway Inn and Suites near attraction), formally known as the Key Largo Inn. While they are far from the best hotel on the block, it's cheap, and I'm only there to sleep.

You'll be amazed at how many dive shops are located down there. Any given mile of travel is likely to yield close to 10 shops. I prefer Rainbow Reef Dive Center. They run a great operation with friendly staff that will lead you around the dive sites (when requested, at no additional cost), have great boats, and their price can't be beat. I've also found good service through Horizon Divers and Ocean Divers. In fact, of the 6 or so shops I've checked out, I have yet to have a bad experience. Rainbow Reef, in my eyes, is just one step ahead of the game.

Island Bay Resort was awesome. The owners are divers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we first stayed in the Keys, we stayed at Rock Reef Resort. Diver-friendly and great people. Also, check with your dive shop and see if they have an informal agreement with a local motel/hotel. Sometimes you can get a little discount. I agree with Imorin, February can be downright chilly in the Keys. The locals dive in the summer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom