Travelling Somewhere!! Need Advice... Belize, Roatan, Utila...Somewhere!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey everyone. I'm looking to get outta dodge for a week or two. i'm thinking Roatan or Utila. i'm not opposed to anywhere, as long as theres great diving! i really wanna try and dive with the whale sharks if possible. the only major issue that i have, is trying to get to these places, without connecting thru the US. unfortunatly, i have a criminal record. so i really dont wanna chance getting turned back at customs. has anyone had any experience with the smaller airlines that connect from the major central american cities, out to the smaller airports? does anyone have any suggestions for diving in july? thanks

To dive with Whale Sharks you have to go to Belize. But that season is over now - it's March-June during full moon weeks. The rest of the year, they're gone. My guess is they move back up to Holbox.

There's a possibility of snorkeling with them anytime off Utila but that's generally better in the spring or September. It's against Honduran law to dive with them - all that we saw were in water too deep to dive off the north side - in March.

Last edited:
Isla Mujeres. (Mexico). Snorkeling with whale sharks is late July and August.
you would fly into Cancun.

las Paz, Mexico in January has whale shark snorkeling as well.

Deputy Dan, are you sure about whale sharks at Isla Mujeres in August?? Not arguing, but I think June/beginning of July is the end of season. May be wrong, just asking.

---------- Post added June 21st, 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

Adam, if you want to get to Roatan direct from Canada without stop overs in US, you need to go between Nov-April.

My understanding is that the end of June is the start of the season in Isla Mujeres - and the end of the season in Belize - that being said - I would not bet $20 that I am 100% correct!

To answer the question that has a specific soluion- sure- you can easily get to Roatan via the mainland of Honduras and also El Salvador by connecting airflight.

As far as Whale Sharks, this is an often heard question. Do research before you chase after any goal. There is no "diving" with Whale Sharks. They are in theory, seasonal.

A better question would be, "What will I likely see in the month of July?". The answer: Lots of stuff will be in the water column. Everything is breeding, hatching, eati ng and being eaten. This is a very busy time of year for observable ecology.

Right now, like most folks, you're in a hurry to see this or that big thing. Relax, take in the sights, see everything, learn to observe. The bucket list stuff is just that. It will come when you are ready.

thanks guys. appreciate the info. its not that i wanna go somewhere just to dive with whale sharks. its just something i'd put into the decision making process of where im going. unfortunately, i never seem to have the luxury of pre planning these trips. i run a small business, so i have to take my breaks when i can squeeze them in. i'd love to take a few extra weeks and finish my DM somewhere warm. i've been doing it here in Newfoundland, but its alot more work keeping extremely over weighted OW divers all geared up in dry suits and stuff. although diving icebergs, WWII wrecks, and with humpbacks on a regular basis has its perks too!

So does anyone have any experiences with Holbox? I was reading a little about it. I've been to Cozumel on a day trip. loved it. I wouldn't mind going back there for a dive trip either. Anyone have any suggestions for a bucket list kinda dive that be planned in a hurry?

ive also been checking out costa rica. has anyone been diving in the gulf of papagayo lately? looking at the liberia area. anyone know of a good spot. someone recommended deep blue to me. any experiences?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom