New July 2014 TSA Electronics Rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering if any SBers have been pondering this new set of rules announced by the TSA. For now, the rules affect flights from overseas inbound to the US. Initial indications were that it was only "trouble" areas like the Middle East that would be affected, but Heathrow is concerned enough to be warning their travelers.

I'm trying to imagine powering on everything in my carry on photo/reg bag: dive computer, lights, gopro, camera, strobes, phone, laptop, etc. Seems like it could take a pretty significant amount of time. There's also the issue of loose lithium batteries, which many lights use now. They're supposed to be carried on, but not stored in the device. So you'd have to install them, power it on, remove them, stow them, and so on.

It's probably too early for anyone to have been subject to these rules, but if so, please share.

TSA had all the time in the world. Their not there to get you to your plane on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to imagine powering on everything in my carry on photo/reg bag: dive computer, lights, gopro, camera, strobes, phone, laptop, etc. Seems like it could take a pretty significant amount of time. There's also the issue of loose lithium batteries, which many lights use now. They're supposed to be carried on, but not stored in the device. So you'd have to install them, power it on, remove them, stow them, and so on.
the TSA has no requirement to remove batteries from devices. They do require some means of ensuring devices do not accidentally get turned on. They provide multiple suggestions on how to meet this requirement. Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices | Transportation Security Administration

Removing the batteries makes your life harder as they become "loose batteries" and you then must ensure the battery contacts can not short on anything. I carry my spare AAs in the original shipping package. The rest are left in place in lights & strobes.

I have not noticed any issues in the last few weeks, but maybe Canada is not on the target list for new procedures.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 11:27 PM ----------

And Trusted Travellers get a different level of screening. No need to remove shoes or belt or take any electronics out of your carry-on.

No idea how the new directive affects Trusted Travellers. No idea how many non US airports are part of the Trusted Traveller program.

I don't know where I got this information - or how old it is or if it was EVER correct - but I always thought that we were supposed to have all of our batteries out of our devices while in flight. I don't suppose we need to worry about lights accidentally turning on because they're not activated by the push of a button (at least mine aren't). My camera is, but it's well protected. We'll see ...

Back
Top Bottom