Travel gear storage ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJ4SFL

Registered
Reaction score
The Muddy Shores of Lake Norman North Carolina
# of dives
50 - 99
I need some ideas and advice on how/where to store my dive gear when back at the hotel. My wife is not a diver (yet) and is not wild about the distinct smell scuba gear has when removed from the Atlantic ocean. I cleaned everything well in the tub ( she wasn't wild about that either) and hung it to dry , also in the tub.
Was afraid to hang it out on the balcony due to sun and possible theft. Putting it in the back of the SUV for the rest of the week dont make sense either .

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I carry my gear in a kit bag that is semi waterproof so I would just fill that bag with water and soak the gear to get it clean. This will not help you with the drying part though.

KitBag.jpg

How high is the balcony? We sun dry our neoprene gear all the time. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Might think about weighting it if it can be windy where you're at.

I put mine on the balcony also, but not in the direct sun if possible. Over the back of the chairs, not over the railing.

Last time we where on the 15th floor. I wasn't so worried about it blowing away as leaving it out forthe sun to damage. Also all it would take is an unhonest neighbour to reach around the wall and my gear would be gone. Maybe I worry to much but I have seen and heard of peoples gear getting stolen before.

I am thinking of building a carrier of so sort that I can put on a receive hitch mount of the SUV that both breathes for venelation yet secure from theft......

Yeah, trade her in for a diving wife.

Last time we where on the 15th floor. I wasn't so worried about it blowing away as leaving it out forthe sun to damage. Also all it would take is an unhonest neighbour to reach around the wall and my gear would be gone. Maybe I worry to much but I have seen and heard of peoples gear getting stolen before.

I am thinking of building a carrier of so sort that I can put on a receive hitch mount of the SUV that both breathes for venelation yet secure from theft......
Most of the time when it's over the chair it's out of the reach of others. and on the 15 floor, if someone is willing to crawl over a wall for some diving gear, there's a little bit more to worry about :) :confused:

The gear or the wife?
The gear :rofl3:

How high is the balcony? We sun dry our neoprene gear all the time. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Might think about weighting it if it can be windy where you're at.

worst thing you can do to neoprene is wash it in hot water and drying in direct sunlight, this can cause stiffening, drying and cracking

Valid point about the theft issue. I work in Law enforcement and I guess my professional experiences have made me a little untrusting of others. I guess I just need to chill out and hurry up and get the wife in a diving class.

Back
Top Bottom