Atlanta to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GADJIT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

Could y'all tell me when the cheapest time to fly to CZM from Atlanta is?

also, is it worth the effort to go to Cancun, switch planes, and go to Cozumel?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Its been since 05 that I flew to Cozumel via Delta and it was about 300 bucks back then... #stickershock lol

Thank you,
David

Best time is pure speculation. The airlines change rates daily.

As for flying into Cancun, don't do it unless it's the only way to get there. You may save a few bucks but you have take a bus or taxi to the ferry terminal (which will require more walking with all luggage since they close off the roads leading to the dock), buy ferry tickets, wait around in the sun (with all your bags) until the next ferry, then hand them over to more baggage handlers. Then find your stuff again at the ferry terminal in Coz and finally get a taxi to your hotel. This will add hours to your travel time and I promise you that you won't be happy when you're done.

I did it once because that was the only option after a plane mechanical issue. I would never choose to do it again.

I will take the bag drag and a direct flight into CUN over connecting through one of the major hubs any day.

What you lose in time on the bus/ferry to Coz you more than make it up with a direct flight. In my case, on the return, I go through immigration and customs in Austin rather than IAH or DFW.

Go here Matrix - ITA Software and click on Search Calendar for lowest fares. You can't book there but it will give you flight details for the airline or your travel agent.

I'm seeing R/T mid-week American Airlines/US Airways flights around $529-569 - 1 stop thru MIA. Tuesday seems to be the best deal.

Last two weekends this month are $576, so are several days in Sept. October jumps to $600 and November weekdays $529-569.
January seemed mostly in the high $500's. Everything else Oct-Jan is in the low/mid $600's.

The Non-Stop Delta flight to Cozumel seemed to be almost $200 more the months I looked at.

March to July 2015 all flights seem to be in the mid-$600's.

I only looked at ATL->CZM routings - not Cancun.

Best time is pure speculation. The airlines change rates daily.
agreed...all the info above is based on a 7-day R/T flight.

OP is flying out of the largest Hub/Busiest Airport in the World....:rofl3: Somehow the bag drag time savings don't seem as useful...

Last edited:
And prices have gone up since 2005. The airlines have figured out that they need to make a profit.

I guess the biggest factor is how much tolerance you have when traveling. I don't have much so I prefer to pay the premium and make it a non-stop if possible. This is especially true when going, coming back I am a little more flexible.

driftwood, Getting through customs at DFW has improved. I flew into DFW from Cancun and Roatan this year and both times I spent more time waiting for the shuttle to long term parking than I did getting through customs. They have kiosk now that take your picture have you answer questions, you don't have to fill out he custom forms anymore. Maybe I have just been lucky but both times were on a Saturday. Last year it took ,e over two hours to get through.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2014 at 10:44 PM ----------

Great to hear that DFW has improved! I will still take a direct flight to CUN with the bag drag over a connecting flight into CZM.

Flying into Austin on an international flight it's a pretty safe bet (99%+) that your plane will be the only one going through Immigrations and Customs. Including waiting for your bag, figure a 30 minute wait. Back in March the longest delay was explaining why my wife had a Saudi visa in her passport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom