Anyone ever get their AOW cert through Sandals resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisekingkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some feedback on the Advanced open water cert at Sandals. Do they have a good program or is it not worth doing on vacation?

Kris

I did mine at a Riu hotel in Mexico. I had over 70 dives and it is much easier to do in warm water with lots of viz compare with cold water here low ciz and lots of current. But those conditions prepared me and i was really comfortable doing it. Also because i took a 12 dive package it only cost me 15.00.

I had a vacation there because spouse wanted all inclusive, i had fun with stuarts cove shark dive was awesome did reef dives in sandels-bahamas only because it was included, but i won't recommend for training.. i see your from NYC.. long island has good shops for training if you like cold and dark..

I personally think that vacation destinations are for diving, home is for getting training. It's always good to support your LDS at home. :wink:

I think when it comes to AOW, the agency you choose is more important than the location you choose to do it in. Sandals teach PADI. The PADI AOW is more of an experience program than a course, so it does not matter where you do it. NAUI, YMCA, and some others offer a more intensive course. Do these at your home LDS.

Which resort are you heading to?

My wife and I did our AOW at Sandals Grande Riviera in 2004. While the diving isn't the greatest in Jamaica, the dive staff was great (and at least we were blowing bubbles :wink:). All of the Sandals programs have a 5 star PADI rating, and the "no pressure, no problem" attitude can make training enjoyable.

In general, I agree that it is better to finish training at home and enjoy the destination while you are on vacation, but if you are willing to do a little reading while soaking up some rays at the pool, you'll knock out the practical requirements during your normal dives so you won't miss out on much. If it's a short trip, you may want to consider just enjoying the island. If you are staying a week or more, you should be able to knock it out without feeling that it was all that you accomplished.

Sandals includes up to 2 dives per day as part of your package (differs by resort - some offer one, 2 tank morning dive while other sites offer two 1 tank morning/afternoon dives). They also offer night dives for an extra charge a couple of days a week. At least when we took the course with them, the cost of one night dive was waived if you opted for it to be one of your adventure dives in the AOW course. We always try to get in a night dive or two, so that was the part of the pitch that got us.

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom