Sandals Saint Lucia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at booking an all inclusive week at Halcyon Beach at a Sandals Resort. Wondering if anyone has any experience diving at this resort in Saint Lucia or diving with Sandals Resorts in general?

Is the diving truly all included, are the Sandals resorts worth the extra cost?

Thanks.

I dove at Sandals La Toc last February and had a pretty good time. I was a current DM with recent Pacific NW experience so there was no checkout or hassle on my skills. Like La Toc, I believe Halcyon busses you to the dive center down town, where as Grand has their own. Surf was pretty high at La Toc so we didn't even get in the water at the resort. In addition to the bus in the morning and back (morning traffic downtown was not good), the boat ride was probably 45 minutes each way, but all the Sandals resorts are going to have the boat ride down to the dive sites. Diving was OK at the shallower sites around Anse Cochon and Lesleen M, but very nice down near the Pitons. Dives were 2/day for an AM start from La Toc, with them running a night dive once that week. The boat was never full to the gills, maybe 12 -15 total. Skills were mixed between some tourist divers and very experienced folks from colder climates and even a commercial diver. Overall a good experience but I wasn't a big fan of the time sink for transportation.

I tended to like Beaches on Turks and Cacaos better due to the on-site operation and the ease of getting an afternoon dive in addition to the two tank morning boat.

I should say that we do like the resorts in general as we're repeat customers and will probably go back to Beaches due to the kid.

I've not dove with any Sandals. There are postings by some who have on Scuba Board, and I'd suggest a Search for 'Sandals,' as some people believe you can do better with other op.s, IIRC, but of course that means paying some money. Check it out and see what those folks have to say before you go, to get a better idea what you may be getting into.

I did dive 2 tanks on a cruise ship stop in St. Lucia, Superman's Flight and Fairy Land. The latter has a strongly vertical wall portion that was neat. I dove with Scuba Steve's.

On a prior stop in St. Lucia (another cruise), did a rain forest hike. Beautiful place!

Richard.

Ditto on the Sandals search. Also search on St. Lucia for reports on sites by divers using other ops. I have posted on the general subject and St. Lucia as have others. Sandals is not terrible but it's not great for bottom time, mixed groups, site choices, etc. They have to cater to significant variation in skill level. Last time we were at the La Toc property, and it's been awhile, the Grand guests were bussed in also to Castries but things change with them. The am buses ran during rush hour but I think a shorter trip from Halycon if I recall correctly. The first time there in '97 we were were picked up in the surf (La Toc).

In general, we like the properties and generally the service. If you are going to St. Lucia for a dive vacation, use an outside op. If you are there for vacation and want to fit in some dives, Sandals will work. If you plan on UW photography, I find that unless we are on a wreck and within eye sight, the Sandal's DMs like the keep the group together and moving. Lingerers may get a lecture back on the boat (trust me I know). I try to use outside ops when staying at Sandals but it's more money.

I worked as an instructor for the Sandals group many years back. It is a con and NOT worth the extra cost. You will get a maximum of 2 dives a day. Short ones and to the reefs most suitable to their time schedule. For St Lucia, try a resort like Windjammer Landings or Anse Chastanet. If need help with packages to these, or want more specific information, let me know.

I've stayed at both La Toc and Sandals Grande and prefer the Grande. Unlike Halcyon and La Toc, the dive operation is on-site and you board from the resorts dock versus being bussed into town.

The Grande is at the North end of the island, but you dive the same sites regardless. The boat ride is a little longer Grande, but total transit time was longer at La Toc, including the bus transfer to and from town.

We we have stayed at their resorts multiple times and overall like what they offer - Great service, fun atmosphere, good food, ... They do include diving, but as some others have mentioned, it is limited to two dives per day (plus a couple night dives a week for an extra charge). Not bad if you want to start your day with a couple of dives, grab lunch and then explore the island, take part in other watersports,play some beach or pool volleyball, or simply chill at the swim up bar.

St Lucia is a beautiful island and there are a lot of topside tours that you can do during your surface intervals. For me Sandals gives a pretty good balance of diving and relaxing.

I would skip Sandals and stay further south. My wife and I created our own all-inclusive trip at Anse Chastanet. Best vacation ever. Incredible diving with an all-star group of dive masters at St Lucia Divers (located at the resort). Great resort and the 12 rooms on the beach have A/C.

Last edited:
I spent week at the Sandals Grand a few years back and while the diving was OK the rest of the resort was..... Meh...

Just a quick correction. It's Scuba St. Lucia, NOT St. Lucia Divers.

Back
Top Bottom