Where can you dive AND surf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know they're conflicting conditions, but I dive and my wife surfs. Anyone know places, besides Hawaii and Costa Rica, where you can do both?

Thanks.

I know they're conflicting conditions, but I dive and my wife surfs. Anyone know places, besides Hawaii and Costa Rica, where you can do both?

Thanks.

Bali, but the surfing and diving spots are geographically separated.

Thanks. Are you talking about Palos Verdes? What are the conditions like?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

Bali, but the surfing and diving spots are geographically separated.

Ooooh, thanks. We plan on going there, too. Are both spots close enough from staying on one part of the island?

Ooooh, thanks. We plan on going there, too. Are both spots close enough from staying on one part of the island?

Surfing is in/around the Kuta / Sanur areas. Kuta is a hell-hole (IMHO) filled with drunken Aussies on a cheap holiday, Sanur (IMHO) is a ghetto of very expensive hotels. Neither will give you the experience I go to Bali for. The best diving (again IMHO) is to the North (Pemuteran) or East (Tulamben/Amed/Padang Bai).

The good news is transportation is still inexpensive. If you don't want to change hotels, an intermediate location might work, but I'd suggest breaking your holiday into chunks with some surf, some dive and some time spent in Ubud (dance/theater/art)

I know you may think me mad but Ireland does both, if your hardy that is.

You can do both in BC as well (check out Long Beach near Tofino). But as with Ireland you have to be a bit crazy - the water is very cold.

Not a surfer, but there were a lot of people surfing on the Southwest shore of Bali just up the beach from us and nowhere near the tourist hot spots. As I recall we were close to Medewi, but it could have been Negara, I just don't remember. The closest dive spot from this was Pemuteran which was a couple of hours away and pretty good diving. A long way from what I understand is the better diving on the east shore however.

In the Maldives one can both dive & surf, especially around the Male atolls.

I second BC again not a surfer but the diving is amazing, cold tho.

Panama - but I believe the two areas are geographically apart. No experience there but I've read some of the best diving is near Bocas del Toro - no idea where the best surf is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom