Looking for a Group Trip to Caribbean in December 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaMarmot

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a group trip to go on in December. Realize this is not much time, but have to use up my vacation.

Not interested in live aboards. Have searched and found a few, but not many options.

Any suggestions? Caribbean or Central America or Mexico would work.

Thx

Why a "group trip"? Camaraderie? In my experience, single divers showing up at a resort feel no more isolated or otherwise at a disadvantage than they would be if they arrived as part of a "group" of unfamiliar people. Ease of booking? It's so easy to book one's own trip, and gives one so much more flexibility than signing up for a trip someone else organized for a group, since you can leave and return whenever you like. Just buy a roundtrip ticket to Cozumel, book a hotel room, and e-mail one of the many dive operators to reserve a spot. It really is that easy. What am I missing here?

New diver, Lorenzoid.

I have to agree with Lorenzoid, several years back when I first came to Cozumel, I traveled solo and was a new diver. Because I was unsure or what to expect I stayed at the Blue Angel because it seemed to be a hotel that concentrated on diving (and they were running a dirt cheap off season promotion). I truly enjoyed the ‘group/ dive club’ atmosphere of a small resort where everyone had a common interest in diving. It also gave me an opportunity to meet other people with a common interest in diving and a chance to ‘feel out’ the island. Well it was like a first pipe load of crack, I think next month will be trip # 18 in 24 months (250 dives on the island) and now either stay with friends or get cheap a room in the $30-40 range. Another good 'dive club' like resort would be Scuba Club Cozumel.

As a new diver, I went on a couple of group trips and then realized i could do it on my own. Ya, like crack. :)
In any event, I still do the ocassional group trip if it suits my needs. I feel OP will be well served if he/she finds a group trip.

Does it have to be Dec? I might know of something end of November. Please advise Seamarmot.

If your profile is up to date, you're certified under a year and have under 25 dives, with PADI as your cert. agency, so I'm guessing you're OW cert.d but not AOW or Nitrox.

In December, some of the northern Caribbean will have chilly water. If you dive in a a wetsuit all the time anyway, this is probably not an issue. If you are like me, naturally insulated, and prefer water 76+ (my personal range) so you're comfy without a wetsuit, then southern locations like Bonaire start to look better.

I think a group trip this early in your dive traveling is a good idea. A few thoughts:

1.) Cozumel is loved as a budget destination with good diving and a number of very reputable op.s. But dives tend to be deeper than 60 feet, if that bothers you, and drift dives (which a number of us enjoy; some people don't). I've been a day one January and I think the water was around 76 degrees. With the caveat that you'll probably dive deeper than you're used to, this could work.

2.) Key Largo is normally what I'd recommend, and in the U.S. less need of a group for comfort. But I don't know what conditions are like that time of year, and water would be cool. My trip report from Sept. 2013 to give you an idea what to expect.

3.) Bonaire - shore diving with a group familiar with the place can be wonderful. I've been 8 times; 1st 4 with a group, next 3 with family/friends or a friend meeting me there, solo last time.

A number of group trips to good places at good prices book up faster in advance than this.

It's possible to travel alone and have a good time. Especially if you're been outside the U.S. before.

Richard.

Oh, a quick note. Be sure to factor round trip airfare into your travel package price. It sounds obvious, but some destinations are much more expensive to fly to, even in the Caribbean. And a $400 round trip ticket to Key Largo vs. $900 round trip to Bonaire, for example (prices vary substantially, and these are a bit low balling it), can make a difference. Especially if you travel with a partner.

Richard.

Yes, camaraderie, not have to pay a single supplement, not being the most outgoing person, etc. are the reasons I would prefer a group trip.

Late November would work, I just need to give work some notice before taking a vacation. I am OW and Nitrox certified. I have dove at greater than 60 feet, and haven't done any drift diving yet. Would like to be in warmer water if possible. Airfare may not be an issue since I have frequent flyer miles I can use.

I did it last year and plan to do the same this year. Go to Cozumel Christmas holiday week (less vacation days are needed).
I dove with this dive shop.
They looks little bit pricy, but have good trip organization and good boats.
Additional, that it is important for me, they have doubles for rent.
I am not ready to dive with one tank without known buddy.
They also have agreement with simple (bad and breakfast, but clean) hotel nearby for about $55 night.
Nitrox also available. If December 20-28 is good for you, send me PM.

Back
Top Bottom