Philippines Airlines baggage policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I tried to find out about Philippines Airlines' check-in baggage policy from the UK but the info on their website is confusing to say the least. I know that most of you are from the US and so will not be able to answer from personal experience since the policies are quite different. But I would be grateful if some of you tale a look at their website and tell me if I have got this right.

There is a free check-in baggage allowance of 20kg only to all economy class passengers between London & Manila. That part seems straightforward.

But there appears to be an additional allowance for Sports Equipment including Diving Kit. But how much this is not easy to determine. Take a look at this: Philippine Airlines :: Sports Equipment

Does this mean that I will be allowed an additional 15kg of dive equipment allowance? If so, what do I have to do to 'qualify' for it?

Hi there,

International free baggage allowance on Philippine airways according to this page and as of 1 June 2014:

You, being from the UK are considered Zone 2, so:

If you are budget economy:1 piece Should not be more than 50 lbs (23kgs)
If you are normal economy:2 pieces Total of 100 lbs (46kgs) for the 2 pieces with no piece exceeding 50lbs. (23kgs.)

In addition:
[h=2]Carry-on Baggage[/h]
Each passenger is allowed one piece of carry-on baggage small enough to be placed in the overhead bin or under the passenger seat of the aircraft cabin with a maximum dimension (length+width+height) of 45 in. (115 cm) and maximum weight of 7 kgs. (15 lbs)

A carry-on bag that exceeds the allowed weight or dimension shall be intercepted and charged an EBC, if applicable.

In addition to the free carry-on baggage allowance, a passenger is allowed to carry on-board a maximum of two (2) of any the following items:

• a small handbag
  • pocket book or purse
  • an overcoat, wrap or blanket
  • a small camera or binoculars
  • laptop with case
  • a reasonable amount of reading material
For persons with disabilities, the foregoing shall be in addition to the assistive devices that are allowed to be carried for free.

I travel. A lot. I spent a month traveling around the PHI in Apr/May, and then Asia for another month after that, and between like 20 flights no one ever weighed my carry-on and I wont lie, I had my BCD, regulators, flash lights, and scubapro fins, AND my macbook all in my carryon....no one said anything.... hell in Coron and Puerto Princesa I dont even remember them having scales at the airport.

V/R,
Amy
The Inked Adventurer - Living life, collecting moments not things.

Resurrecting this thread because I'm an extreme 'rule follower' and I don't want to get in trouble for having overweight bags on our Philippines Air flight.

I usually travel with a carryon that weighs consistently 23 pounds, and a checked bag of 40-45 pounds. I also carry a regular sized (not overstuffed) LLBean tote bag or small backpack. In my opinion, considering we're diving, I pack light.

The carryon bag weight on Philippines Air is 15 pounds!!! My freakin' empty bag weighs 8!!! Then they allow for another bag (computer bag sized - which is pretty generous). I'm curious how many of you have been stopped because your bag is over weight? I suspect we're the only ones stressing over this, and we'll see women with the humongous overstuffed Vera Bradley totes that a small child can crawl into, along with carryons that need two people to get in the overhead. But like I said, I'm an extreme rule follower. Any real-life experiences will be helpful.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom