Where not to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjrob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious, but there are some dive destinations I probably would not return to...at least without a really compelling reason.

Are there places you've been that you would NOT recommend? Any reasons why?

The only place I've been that I didn't enjoy was Cozumel. I know most people love it, but trying to photograph reef animals in strong currents is not my cup of tea.

Just curious, but there are some dive destinations I probably would not return to...

I clicked through your website, looked at your current list of trip offerings, and then looked at your archived "past" trips.

Your destinations as shown on your website look to be well within the my range of acceptable places, certainly the ones that I would offer to an LDS audience.

You have some mild emphasis on Cozumel with multiple (OW cert portion?) trips, and this is quite understandable due to an enticing price structure. The rest of your offerings are extensive and far better than the average LDS spread. You have avoided a number of other "lowest common denominator" destinations. This may be because of your Nebraska/Missouri base, keeping you focused on areas of the Caribbean other than the SE regional LDS defaults of Nassau, Grand Bahama, and Grand Cayman- three islands that would make my no-fly list. But, for whatever marketing reason, you have chosen well, at least by my standards.

What were you really trying to get at?

Antigua would be on my "no dive list" for sure. I love the island. Have been there three times, and will go back again and again, but it is not for diving. There are a handful of ops... and supposedly a few good sites. Might be acceptable for a day or two of diving by someone who gets excited about seeing a parrot fish... but not much beyond that.

I just got back from Antigua and it was better than my expectations. Still not great but not horrible. Saw lots black tip reef sharks nurse sharks eagle rays turtles dolphins sting rays Lots of little fish too. I went there just to spend time with my wife and not really dive. So I'd your looking for a super nice vacation with a bit of diving I'd recommend it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I wasn't impressed by St Maarten, though the dive op did take us to a couple of mildly interesting wrecks, not much else to see. That's odd, when Saba, is said to be great, and it's quite close to St Maarten

I have to concur on St. Maarten. Only made a couple of dives there, but nearly everything we saw was dying/dead. Not much to see at all from my limited experience...

I wouldn't go back to the Society Islands. It's a combination of being a long trip, very expensive, and me not being thrilled with the environmental problems and the relatively unexciting diving.

I can't think of anyplace else I've been that I absolutely would not go back to. Cozumel wasn't my favorite type of diving, but the viz was fabulous and the service from Aldora was fantastic. Maui isn't "surface from every dive with a huge grin on my face" diving, but I've seen some great critters there (mantas, dolphins, and a whale) and the diving is usually very easy, and everybody speaks my language and accepts my currency :)

Let's face it, diving is fun -- some diving is more fun than other diving, but it's the logistical considerations that make or break a place as a dive destination for me.

For those of you that dove St. Maarten did you dive French or Dutch side? Do you mind sharing what dive company you used?

Sint Martin , forget about it: French and Dutch sides. Much better around this island are St Barth, Saba and BVI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom