Vacation ideas ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for vacation ideas my wife does not dive and it is our 10 yr anniversary so since I want to stay married diving is ONLY a secondary activity. I will prober by only get in 2-2 tank dives in.

We want a relaxing place with some local culture or sites to see. Good food with a variety of food is a must. We usually have a day we do not leave the pool/ beach then a day to do something then a day to relax.

We are in Chicago and have a budget for 5 nights of 2000-2500. We have looked all inclusive in Mexico, to Pensacola, and Carolina's. We could drive to Pensacola/Carolina's but there is no way I'm driving to the souther FL. So for the budget needs to include air/driving costs, hotel, and food/ entertainment and 2 dive charters.

Pritty much anywhere in Mexico/FL we can do 5 days for about $3,000 but we are hung up with the what to do when at the beach? I can only spend 2 days sitting then I need something to do. So I guess I am looking for a suggestion for a non divers vacation that I can sneak in a couple dives.

What range of dates will you travel?

What gets me is you're apparently talking $3,000 to fly 2 people round trip, stay at a resort or hotel for 5 nights, maybe rent a car, eat & get out to see some entertainment. Wow. That could be tough. And heading out of Chicago, you're not spitting distance from the tropical diving so many like to do.

One of the best vacation values out there in my view is a cruise, on an older ship that's not 'latest and greatest.' For example, on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas, you won't get some of the amenities of the Voyager, Freedom, Oasis and Quantum class ships, but you can get long, port-intensive cruises cheap. And some Voyager class (e.g.: have the royal promenade and rock wall) can be pretty cheap. If airfare to a departure port is cheap, this can be a good deal. I hear Carnival tends to run cheaper than Royal, and NCL is also a mainstream family line. Consider what you get for the basic fare (in my experience):

1.) Free transportation to 2 to 5+ islands.
2.) Room (inside state rooms are fine with me; why pay for a balcony when you can go up on deck like everybody else?).
3.) Food - meals, snacks, etc...
4.) Evening shows.
5.) Usually some activities & so forth - kids' clubs, rock climbing wall, etc...
6.) While somewhat pricy, with Royal and I think some others, the 'All your prints + a photo CD with limited copyright release' options can let you gorge on professional photography. Seek out every photo station you can find the whole cruise, get a number of shots with each background, go on casual and formal nights, you and can walk away with a very large pile of professional prints and digital files.

You can probably do a scuba excursion or two. Costs extra, yes. But at least you can maybe dive a place or two you've never been before.

While it may be possible to do a cheap land trip and a couple of dives elsewhere, the entertainment demands of a 10 yr anniversary may run some costs. With a cruise, so much is included in the base fare.

Richard.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 08:22 PM ----------

Just remembered, my wife & a friend of hers spent a few days at Legacy By The Sea hotel in Panama City Beach, Fl, for $453.70 (maybe 3 night? 4?) back in October. While they're 'lolly gag around & piddle' types, there are things in the area to do, Panama City Beach is scenic from what I understand, and while it seems posters tend to prefer Florida's east coast diving over the west, here's a thought to make your diving special, if limited.

What if you drove to Pensacola & went out of one of the Oriskany charter trips? If you're going to dive the west coast, and just get a couple of dives on your trip, and you're willing to drive to the panhandle so you'll have a car...

You get a big name wreck dive and she gets Panama City Beach. Does that sound like a plan?

Richard.

P.S.: Being mindful the Oriskany is a long boat ride and weather can ditch your plans. I haven't done it yet, but I was born in Pensacola, so it's kind of a bucket list ambition of mine to dive it someday.

Charleston SC could be an option. One very long day or two easy days of driving with a stop overnight in Lexington or Knoxville. Plenty of deep south culture, old historical buildings/tours, Fort Sumter boat tour, Patriots Point Naval museum - the Yorktown is there. South Carolina Aquarium is interesting and locally focused for the most part - better than I expected for a town of that size. Nice beaches, Kiawah, Folly Beach, Seabrook Island, Isle of Palms and one more but they're not in town - up to 10-15 miles away in either direction. Charleston, SC | Official Site for Charleston Vacations & Charleston Tourism | Charleston Area CVB

There's also the slave plantation tours, harbor boat rides, local house tours, carriage rides etc. Foodies like FIG, Magnolias and SNOB (Slightly North of Broadway) I liked the more casual single owner places downtown - many with patios on the street. Some of them are around the old mall/shops downtown - I can't remember the name of it. Very pleasant area to walk around in. Plan on it being really humid in the warmer months also.

Diving is with Charleston Scuba to the south of town or Low Country Watersports in Mt. Pleasant. Diving is mostly wrecks off-shore or there's the Cooper River black water fossil teeth dives. We did get blown out one day with Charleston - mid-week in late June. I believe diving there is only spring-fall also so it wouldn't work if you're planning to go soon.

With only 5 days IDK if you want to burn two of them driving though. Another option would be to price Jet Blue, Spirit or Southwest (Midway) to West Paln, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and see what you can put together there. Singer Island is nice but probably out of range. Lots of foodie options there though, just drive across the bridge from somewhere on the mainland. Maybe Jacksonville also - St. Augustine? Diving isn't so good in that area though - it's less seasonal though - I think they're diving now - they definitely are farther south. Jupiter Beach is supposed to be very nice also.

Last edited:
I don't when you are travelling, so I made some estimate for May (which is often shoulder season). My estimated are cursory...you might be able to get a much better deal if you do some research. A couple of reccomendations:

1) Tulum. Mexico. You can buy a package with air from Chicago and a hotel (like Mestizo Hotel) for less than $1,300 for both of you (depending on when you travel--I checked for May). An Alamo car can run you asa low as $10 day including tax, but if you need insurance plan on an extra $15 a day. That leaves you well over $1200 for a couple days of diving (reef or cenote), good food (although mostly Mexican), and lots of cutural activities--including the ruins. note: if you prefer all-inclusive I'd check online. There are pribably options. I've always found Tulum very romantic.

2) You could fly into LA and take the ferry over to Catalina. I've never dove there, but I've heard nice things about the dive park. I think the water gets up to 70-74 in the summer. Airfare is cheap (under $350), and the Banning House is very nice and usually about $150/night. Good assorted selection of restaurants.

3) Monterey: Fly into SFO, rent a car, head down the coast. Good diving, amazing aquarium, tons of culture, amazing food, etc. You might need to watch the budget. It can get pricy there.

4) Puerto Rico: I know there are direct flight from ORD. I took a look and saw flights and beach front accomodations for about $750/pp. Not sure if you'd need a car. Lots of history there. Some friends recently returned and RAVED about the food. I know there is some decent diving, but it may be in Viequez. You could investigate.

Hope you have a wonderful Anniversary.

Melissa

We have looked at Panama City beach and charleston. I am willing to drive if we drive I would stop half way and extend trip, but in fuel, hotel and a couple meals yor at $500 round trip in travle costs... Could almost fly then but then would have consider renting a car.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2015 at 12:30 PM ----------

Planning on traveling around end of June early July. Are anniversary is July 9th.

You might also look at Cabo San Lucas Mexico with 4.5 hour non-stop flights from Chicago. Cabo is not cheap but there are a lot of timeshares and resorts and rental properties so you may be able to find reasonable flights, accommodations and diving - and there are loads of things to do topside for an anniversary trip.

We haven't been to Cabo in several years and the last time we were there we were on a liveaboard so I cannot make specific suggestions, but they were hit bad by a hurricane last year and are in a bit of a "rebuilding phase" so there may be some bargain opportunities. I am considering the Baja for our anniversary trip in the fall. Good luck!

If you rent a car, something to be mindful of. Looking at airfare & rental on Orbitz recently for a hoped for trip with family where a large SUV would be useful (for baggage), I got upset when I saw what renting one for a week would cost. But going to the rental agency's website directly, it would be a good deal less expensive (saying 'cheaper' still seems hard). So, if you book a rental vehicle, a quick comparison might be worthwhile.

Richard.

I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!! Go to Hawaii and take me with you. Oh yeah....you pick up the tab....now that's a GREAT IDEA!!!! What a great vacation that would be.

Cornwall in the UK. Apparently some of the best diving the UK has to offer, plus loads to see and do, and beautiful beaches to relax on.
See: cornwall.jpg

How about Key West? The diving is perhaps better if you go further north along the Keys but Key west is loaded with shops, food places, etc. Couple of choices. Can fly to Miami and rent a car. About 2.5 hour drive or fly direct to Key West. There are dive ops in Key West. Great couple town with a bit of quirk.

Lots of nice places to stay along the Keys but less non-diving stuff to do. My wife does not dive. She really enjoyed a dolphin encounter. There are a couple of places. One at Duck Key and one in Key Largo, she did both.

Key Largo at the other end puts you one hour from Miami and all that means. for activities.

Back
Top Bottom