Any suggestions for a luxury Hawaiian Resort with an on site dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dorian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to make everyone in my family happy for spring break. My wife doesn't dive and my daughter is still too young. Would love to find a place with a really nice pool, tennis courts and a spa. I know a lot of good options if I rent a car and drive 20 to 30 minutes from the hotel to the dive boat.

Any places with the dive shop/operator on site at the hotel?

By the way, we choose Hawaii because we are finishing the trip in Kauai at a relatives wedding.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some options I'm aware of:

Maui:

The Grand Wailea is on Wailea Beach which is a shore dive site. They also have a specially built scuba pool for intro dives so there must be an on-site operator - IDK who it is though. Boat dives would be a drive to the Kihei boat ramp operators though - maybe 10mins?. There's a spa there and a huge pool complex -
Wailea Canyon Activity Pool
Spend the day in this 2,000-foot-long, 25,700-total-square-foot, 770,000-gallon pool that consists of nine pools on six different levels. The pools are connected by a river that carries swimmers along whitewater rapids and gentle currents. Wailea Canyon includes four jungle pools, four intertwining slides, a whitewater rapids slide, a Tarzan pool with rope swing, a sand beach, six waterfalls, caves, three Jacuzzis, an infant pool, the world’s first water elevator, the Lava slide, Ana Puka slide and a swim-up bar.
Grand Wailea Resort | Maui Hotels | Wailea Hotels No idea on tennis courts but I don't see any on the aerial shot. There's a tennis center in Wailea but I don't know where it is in relation to the Grand Wailea - can't be too far it's not a big town.

Nearby is the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea. Same beach. They only have 3 pools - and tennis courts onsite - I know because I walked by them. Maui Underseas Adventures is on-site and they shore dive Wailea Point - I like that dive. They also dive Makena a few minutes away. I'd guess they and the Wailea operator also dive Polo/Ulua beaches - known dive sites - since they're so close.

The Fairmont Kea Lani is on Polo Beach but IDK what diving arrangements are there if any. Don't know much else about it.

The Sheraton Black Rock on the north end of Ka'anapali has a watersports operator on-site for tank rentals to shore dive Black Rock. And tennis courts and a spa. Close to shops also. Boat dives are a drive to Lahaina. Nice property but not as nice as those in Wailea. And Ka'anapali is pretty crowded.

I don't think you'll find any resort on Maui with it's own boat operator on site since all the boats are launched/kept at the Kihei boat ramp, Ma'alea Harbor or Lahaina Harbor and all the resorts are elsewhere.

Hawaii:

On the Big Island, there's the Hilton Waikoloa Vilage. Walkoloa Coast Divers keeps their boat in A Bay there. Your kid might like both the dolphins and there's also a gated off shallow tide pool for safe snorkeling. And a lagoon for stand-up paddleboarding/kayaking etc. One thing they don't have there is a great beach - lava rock right up to the ocean edge in most areas.

Last edited:
Years ago there was a dive op at the Princeville Hotel on the beach at the eastern tip of Hanalei Bay on Kauai. That's how I recall the name anyway, that may not be 100% complete. With the tunnels dive site nearby - that's where the guy took us, though he used only 60 cu ft tanks unfortunately - that seemed a good op to use, and the only one I could find for northshore diving during late winter.

The Westin Kaanapali Villas on Maui also has an op on site, and someone who will do snuba pool trials and trips as well. The diving there off the hotel beach is less than mediocre, but maybe they have other options.

I get the impression that facilitating convenient access to scuba for their clientele is not at all uncommon for the big hotels, whether that means an equipped onsite facility or not. If you mean onsite access to decent shore diving as well, those options are far fewer.

Another option might be the Sheraton on the south side of Kauai in Poipu. I'm pretty sure they have a dive operator on-site and a zodiac. Sheraton Caverns is a good dive just off their property and Koloa Landing is a 5min. drive away. Seasport Divers and Fathom Five are also both nearby and keep their boats in a harbor there. FF also dives Tunnels from shore in the summer months - their other operation is Ocean Quest. Jeannette the owner is supposed to be one of the best Tunnels guides. Probably the better part of an hour between Princeville and Poipu though. And since you're going to wind up there anyway, you may want to consider another island.

There's also the Four Seasons on Lana'i. Trilogy has a shop there but they're the only option. Hulopo'e Bay is an excellent snorkel/shallow dive. .: Trilogy Ocean Sports Lana`i • Scuba Diving on Lana`i, Hawai`i :.

We stayed at Fairmont Kei Lani. It is next door to the Grand Wailea IIRC. They have Prodiver Maui on-site. They do Discover Scuba in the pool and dive off of Polo Beach, which is right in front of the hotel. Their dive shack is literally 20 feet from the sand, the reef there is great, and even has turtles. My 17 year old daughter and I did our OW Certification dives there. VERY easy to shore dive there, and the reef was as good as Molokini Cater. After our cert dives we were on a boat dive, and one of the stops was literally a couple of hundred yards from the Fairmont. Prodiver Maui also has a dive boat, but I have not been out on it. Right up the street is the boat ramp, where we dove with Mike Severns Diving. We really liked their operation, and highly recommend it. The Fairmont will drive you there for free. Prodiver also does scooter dives from the beach, but I didn't try that. I ran into a guy who said it was great.

SCUBA Dive Maui | Prodiver | Molokini | Maui Dive Boat
Maui Scuba Diving - Mike Severns Diving - Maui Dives

Back
Top Bottom