Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are planning a trip to the Maldives Feb/March of 2016. Has anyone had any travel experience to the area that they can share? We are planning on combining both a liveaboard and a land based diving vacation. Any experiences with dive sites, liveaboards or hotel and diving operations would be appreciated. We have heard that the Ari atoll has the best overall diving.

One of the big hurdles that are rarely considered... how will you transition from "the Airport" (a most peculiar, isolated, and unique place) to the diving (liveaboard or island resort)? This is quite a trip. The two ways are by high speed offshore style boat or by float plane.

This decision, weighing specific costs and sheer availability, may well be a determining factor as to which zone of the Maldives you ultimately select as a destination. It can be quite a hump.

Hello.
I live and work on Maldives since 2006; I hope my tips will help you.
- February - March is the best season, but also the most expensive season. We call it «Top Season».
- February - March is the most popular season is and usually best offers will be sold out on 10 - 12 months in advance.
- Safari in February - March. If you are first time in the Maldives, I can advise you take standard route – to the south from Male. This can be: Male - South Male Atoll - Vaavu Atoll - Ari Atoll - Male. It's almost a guarantee you will meet Manta Rays and whale sharks and 100% you will meet with large pelagic.
- Safari February - March, many boats organize a safari at this time to the Far South of Maldives. This is an excellent safari, but they are more expensive and need a local flight (+/- 350 USD on top), and it require more experience from diver. Again, if you are first time in the Maldives, leave this route for the next time, for second visit.
- Select yacht. It all depends on your budget and expectations of service. Let me say, so prices can be: 1200 USD / 1500 USD / 1800 USD/ 2000 USD + (per person per one week trip). What price is right for you?
- Hotel in the Maldives. Two options: or a guest house in the local island (not expensive but with some limitations) or Resort. What do you prefer?
I hope I helped you. If you have questions please ask me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom