Suggestions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacRS4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm pretty new to scuba - been diving for about a year and have about 20 dives under my belt. Mostly in the Maldives where I qualified, and then in Sydney where I did my AOW.

Anyway, its trip time :54: and I need some suggestions.

First week in June I've promised a buddy to take them out somewhere to finish their qualification - I.e. the 4 open water dives. I was thinking maybe Sharm or Cyprus for that as its pretty cheap from the UK. Anyway, after that first week I want to go off somewhere a bit more exotic.

I've 'done' the Maldives now and I loved it and I am sorely tempted to go back however I think I'd rather go somewhere I haven't been before. Also, I don't think June is the best time for the Maldives?

I'm in Australia for the whole of November so was planning to do the barrier reef then.

So, where is there that I just should not miss and that I can do in 7-10 days?! A wide open question I know but I'd appreciate any input :)

With the pound and euro so strong againt the dollar, you might want to consider coming here. Take a look at www.blackbeards.com, they are $819 for a week plus $55 port tax and crew tip ( say $100 ) airfare seems to be about $500 with tax right now. Add in ground transport and parking at the airport and your at about $1600 or $900 GBP. How does that cost compare to your other options?

Hey thats true - thanks - I hadn't considered the states at all - I'll have a look !! I'd budgetted on up to say 1500GBP however less is better :wink:

Just had a look at the exchange rates - damm what happened there then :eek:

Check out the Turks & Caicos. I think Brittish Air flies direct from London once per week. The diving is phenomenal.

Tim Ingersoll:
Check out the Turks & Caicos. I think Brittish Air flies direct from London once per week. The diving is phenomenal.

Do you mean Turkey? Also not sure what you mean by Caicos - thanks for the suggestion though I will do a search and see what I can find.

MacRS4:
Do you mean Turkey? Also not sure what you mean by Caicos - thanks for the suggestion though I will do a search and see what I can find.

Turks & Caicos is one place, a group of islands southeast of the Bahamas. Great diving on several of those islands. Provo (Providenciales) is the main island with most of the hotels and restaurants. The better diving if you stay on Provo is not on Provo itself but places like uninhabited West Caicos or French Cay. Caicos Adventures is generally agreed to be the best dive operator there, their thing is to do the longer trips out to the best diving and they have the best boat. There's also a couple liveaboards leaving from Provo, Aggressor and Carribean Explorer. There is also good diving (and little else to do) on Grand Turk, Salt Cay, and South Caicos and some places to stay out there.

Doh was showing my ignorance :) Thanks for the help - I will go have a look see what I can find.

You'll find exchange rate benefits across much of the Caribbean and other islands on this side of the Atlantic.

The Cayman Islands, Belize, The Bahamas, and a few other locales have effectively linked their currencies to the US dollar. Thus as the US Dollar has declined in value, som have the local currencies in these markets.

BA flies non-stop to Nassau, and that plane continues on to Grand Cayman.

Mac,

I'm thinking of going to Cayman in a few weeks time. Been out there a couple of time (before I started diving) and it's a great place.

Cheers,
Daz :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom