best place to dive with whale sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luk

Registered
Reaction score
Where do you think is the best place to dive with whale sharks? If possible would love to spend sometime with them, not watch them fly by like a plane. Thanks!

Near the U.S. the only place to dive with Whale Sharks is Belize in the late spring. Honduras, Mexico etc. are snorkel only.

The exception is the Socorros liveaboard trips - certain times of the year they encounter them there. The recent video of the diver cutting the WS free that some company is using as a TV ad now was filmed last year by Solmar V off Socorro.

It's been my experience (off Utila) that most of the time they're likely to be either indifferent or try to get away when they encounter snorkelers. We had one that let us watch him feed for a few seconds but most of them started diving deep as soon as we approached. One circled under the boat and made a second pass so I've got about 30secs. of that on video.

My buddy did the Belize dives - he's a photographer and had time to get some good shots since the WS's are attracted by the Cubera Snapper spawn and seemed indifferent to divers hovering around their meal source. No flash allowed. He said over 2 days of diving (4 dives) they probably had about 10 mins. of in-water close encounter. If you're interested, Splash Dive in Placencia is one option.

Overseas, Maldives, Philippines, Ningaloo, Australia or Tanzania are options. Maybe Yap/Palau also - seems like I recently read a trip report here that mentioned it - along with the Mantas. Ningaloo may be snorkel only also - I've got footage shot by a diver but it's shallow so he could've been snorkeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: luk
La Paz Mexico in Janaury
Southern Belize Later April May
Isla Mujeres and Holbox in July August
Oslob Philippines
To name a few....

Reactions: luk
Top Tip: Fill your shorts with frozen Shrimp.

You will likely have a prolonged and intimate experience. I seen it.

Not sayin' it was right or wrong, more of a Johnny Knoxville kid of thing, thassall.

At the Georgia Aquarium, I guarantee that you'll see some.

Ningaloo Reef Western Australia is generally snorkel only with the operators up there (AFAIK) but ive been diving up there on a research project with whalesharks during the season quite a few times.

What part of the world are you coming from and what else would you like to see?

As much as you want to see them, if somehow they didn't show on your trip, what else would you want to see?

Richard.

Cenderawasih Bay in West Papua.......HANDS DOWN. No comparison.

To be surrounded by 8 whale sharks that circle you for hours as you hang motionless in the water column on scuba is beyond anywhere else in the world, IMO.

No, the diver was not touching the shark

I was in the water for five hours for three days and never had fewer than four swimming around me. Of course, the downside is getting there. Not easy....but so worth it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom