Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys my brother and I are brand new to diving. Only completed open water dives. Is it a good idea to go to Palau for our first dives. Some have said its not for new divers.

Others can describe conditions; I've got a different angle to consider. Have you checked into how much money it's going to cost for flights, resort, diving, etc...? And how much travel time, how many flights/layovers, etc...? That's one long trip you're considering.

Richard.

Others can describe conditions; I've got a different angle to consider. Have you checked into how much money it's going to cost for flights, resort, diving, etc...? And how much travel time, how many flights/layovers, etc...? That's one long trip you're considering.

Richard.

Yes, I don't want to make it that far and not be able to enjoy it.

Are you planning to go with a group? Have you traveled outside the U.S. before?

I'm not trying to discourage you, just to make sure you think it through. Palau is spoken of wonderfully, so much so that it's a bucket list destination. One of those maybe someday for me, if I'm so blessed, but then again, I don't know.

Did you also consider destinations closer to home, like Key Largo, Cozumel, Bonaire...?

Richard.

Yea, I travel very often and to many remote countries. I had this planned prior to being ow certified.

I went last spring (and am heading back next spring for 5-6 weeks). We did have a few recently certified divers on our boat and they did fine. Currents can be quite strong in the channels and at sites like Blue Corner though and I'd really recommend becoming AOW certified and get a few more dives under your weight belt before you go. I dove with Palau Dive Adventures and loved it. Some of the best diving I've done to date (and I've been diving for 53 years).

I'm adverse to currents and didn't find Palau difficult. I did use a reef hook at Blue Corner. I did my AOW there mainly because I wanted a particular dive guide (actually wanted to avoid a particular dive guide). Did essentially the same dives as I would have done with the addition of navigation. The boat rides are long to the sites. So we spent most of the day doing two dives.

I'm assuming you want to do Palau because you hear it's a great place to dive and you're a gung-ho new diver. :) Which is understandable, but I don't think it's the best choice for your first dive trip. While obviously some new divers go there and do ok, I really think it's better to have some more experience first. You will be safer and appreciate it more. I'd suggest doing some easier dive trips first to start and get some practice.

It's true diving is generally much better in the Indo-Pacific region than options closer to the US. But if you start with the best stuff you may immediately be spoiled for diving closer to home. Warm water diving in places like the Caribbean and Florida is nice and certainly enjoyable, and at this point in your dive career you will think it is great.

Conditions vary in Palau, sometimes currents are strong and sometimes not. I assume this is partly tied to the phase of the moon and might be possible to plan to a certain extent, though I've never read anything confirming that. Thing is, it's the current that brings a lot of the stuff Palau is famous for, so you would be choosing between strong currents and seeing more stuff, or little current and not seeing as much. And while opinions vary, I think a liveaboard is a better way to dive Palau than land-based, and is something you should at least consider if you weren't. Most people don't tend do a liveaboard as their first dive trip though.

How are you on boats? In Palau you'd either be on a liveaboard or fairly long day boat trips. If you don't know if you are prone to seasickness, it's not the place to figure it out.

Even if you are well traveled, there are some things about dive travel that you need to figure out by doing it. There's something to be said for learning those things on a shorter/easier/cheaper trip so you're better prepared for the big one.

IMHO.... it is a waste of $$$ for you to go to Palau at this point. You will not get the most bang for your buck. The diving is primarily drift diving and deep. Two things you are not ready for yet. I would go somewhere a bit less stressful for at least 50 dives, get used to the equipment, how to handle little emergencies on your own, etc. The last thing you want to do is need to have a DM holding your hand for every dive where you are there. Get some practice elsewhere, but plan to go there eventually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom