Best hard-case luggage for checked gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big-n-Buoyant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...this subject very likely has been addressed, but I was not able to locate via search.... so -

What is your opinion (website or other info appreciated) of the best hard-case protection for checked scuba gear? I plan to fly with mine in near future and plan to carry on the vitals (regs, computer,etc.) but would like to check BC, fins, other miscellaneous.

-BnB

Big-n-Buoyant:
...this subject very likely has been addressed, but I was not able to locate via search.... so -

What is your opinion (website or other info appreciated) of the best hard-case protection for checked scuba gear? I plan to fly with mine in near future and plan to carry on the vitals (regs, computer,etc.) but would like to check BC, fins, other miscellaneous.

-BnB

I've used just another wheeled suitcase to take along It's sturdy, cheaper, and doesn't scream "I'M FULL OF SOMETHING EXPENSIVE!".

Marc

We've had a couple different hardsided wheeled cases from the common major luggage brands, and given up on those. When stuffed with a heavy load including sometimes damp gear, and abused by the airlines, they didn't fare too well for us. We've had cracked cases, broken wheels, damaged hinges and latches, and things generally falling apart. We now use large generic looking duffles with a hard bottom only and wheels, carefully packed, and those work out fine. Fins on the bottom, BC and everything else stacked up with clothing or wetsuits protecting gear as necessary. Never had a problem. Delicate or expensive stuff in carryon.

Hard cases have drawbacks if you go on a liveaboard, or to someplace reached only by smaller planes. Soft luggage is much easier to store on a liveaboard. Small planes have stricter weight limits, soft is lighter and easier for them to fit, increasing the likelyhood of it making the same flight you do.

I got away from Pelican bags and being jumped on by both TSA and the airlines themselves.....now I use a duffle with my bcd inside a tupperware like container. It is protected from the Luggage Apes by the plastic case...and the raunchy old looking duffle attracts little attention. Def nothing that yells dive gear steal me.

I travel with a big tub like RubberMaid box with two large locking snaps and a padlock hole. Two air vents are located above the hand holds. I pack wetsuit, fins, booties, regulator, bc, hoods, dive skin, gloves, and weight pouches (no lead). To this I have two 2" straps that go around the tub over the locking snaps, it protect the snaps and adds stability to the whole kit. I place a sturdy pad lock in the lock hole. I've shipped it ahead to a dive boat, or dive shop via UPS, or checked it with the airlines. It has never been opened or lost. Lucky! Perhaps, but it doesn't have any lables on it other than the shippers. When the trip was over, I had the operator rinse and dry my stuff and ship it back to me. Of course I pay for the service. I've taken this set up to Mexico, Turks and Cacos. and Bahama. Out of the country it travels in the airlines cargo. :pirate1:

metaldector:
I travel with a big tub like RubberMaid box...
That sounds like a great system! I have often considered shipping luggage ahead of me, but it's still expensive. I suspect, however, that as the TSA /et al./ alienate more travellers then demand will grow and prices will drop.

Another advantage of shipping is that your stuff can be properly insured.

One additional for someone with a 'delicate' back would be to pack a folding trolley in the top of the box.

Cheers,

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom