Transportation Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
St Petersburg Times June 13th

Ever since the goverment began screening checked luggage for explosives at the end of 2002, the airlines and the TSA administration have been arguing over who should be held responsible if anything is later found missing from a bag.

A year and a half after the transportation agency began accepting claims for missing items or damage to a bag, the two sides still dont have an answer. The essential hangup is the two sets of employees now have access to the passengers' luggage: government screeners and airline baggage handlers. It's often impossible to determine who had sticky fingers or careless hands.

Meanwhile, the claims are piling up: According to the TSA more than 29,000 claims of loss or damage have been filed.
The lugage locks introduced last November, which agency employees are supposed to be able to open, have had mixed reviews: Some travelers report that screeners cut off the locks instead.
So what do the airlines and the TSA have to say about all this?

According to Doug Wills, spokesman for the Air Transport Association of America, wich represents the major U.S. airlines, it's affecting a lot of people: "More bags are being screened than ever before, so there are more missing items."

Wills said baggage problems had become such an issue that the airlines have offered to assume responsibility for handling claims, and pay about 60 percent of the payments to passengers (with the TSA paying the rest).

"The airlines are saying, This is impacting the quality of the travel experience, so lets take the process back,' " Wills said.
"The show-stopper has been what type of liability the TSA is prepared to take."
According to Wills the federal agency has asked for a limit on the governments share of any payments to no more than 43-million a year. Given that roughly 20,000 claims were filed in 2003, a $3-million liability cap would translate into a payment of about $150 per claim. "It's not a lot of money Wills said.

(Currently, the airlines' liability for checked luggage is $2500 per passenger for domestic flights, an amount set by the Department of Transportation before the goverment started screening baggage.)

However that calculation doesn't take into account that the agency isn't likely to pay on every claim. Ann Davis a TSA spokeswoman, said the agency has begun processing claims.
" The ones we're paying are the ones we've investigated and determined that the TSA was responsiale for the loss or damage,' Davis said. "Like a laptop---something that's pretty obvious."

As of mid May, she said the agency had decided to pay 2,143 claims, with an average payment of $186.43. Another 100 or so proposed settlements were awaiting approval, 1,330 claims had been denied and nearly 4,500 claims had been deemed "legally insufficient," she said.

About 4,700 claims were being investigated or reviewed.

Although Davis said the number of claims filed with the TSA was "quite small," given the number of passengers who pass through U.S. airports, she acknowledged some instances of theft. "There have been a handful of screeners across the country that have unfortunately taken advantage of there access to passengerers' belongings," Davis said.

Sad if they will steal from baggage what's the price to slip something into someone's baggage ?

Thanks for posting the links DivingGal. I'd been meaning to look that stuff up.

I'd advise taking a copy of the appropriate regulation with you, it's amazing how many of the on-line folk don't know the rules.

DivingGal:
I'd advise taking a copy of the appropriate regulation with you, it's amazing how many of the on-line folk don't know the rules.

Is the appropriate regulation what is posted in the TSA links you provided in your original sticky post? The scuba gear related TSA page mentions regulator, bc, fins and mask but nothing about the dive computer, spg and compass. My dive computer, spg and compass are attached to the regulator as part of the console assembly. Would it be ok to put the whole thing (including the octopus but sans the knife behind the console, into my carry-on? I was thinking of putting my bc in the check-in because it is relatively bulky. Thanks very much for posting the TSA links. Will appreciate to hear practice on the ground and about peoples' actual experiences.

Iwander:
Is the appropriate regulation what is posted in the TSA links you provided in your original sticky post? The scuba gear related TSA page mentions regulator, bc, fins and mask but nothing about the dive computer, spg and compass. My dive computer, spg and compass are attached to the regulator as part of the console assembly. Would it be ok to put the whole thing (including the octopus but sans the knife behind the console, into my carry-on? I was thinking of putting my bc in the check-in because it is relatively bulky. Thanks very much for posting the TSA links. Will appreciate to hear practice on the ground and about peoples' actual experiences.
That'll work. There have been reports of isolated hassels, but your approach is a good one. :wink:

The only 2 major things TSA ( AND air carriers ) have a problem with is tanks and high capacity lights. Tanks have to have the VALVES off of them, not just the regulators. And this isnt just scuba tanks or pony bottles...even paint ball tanks. Big dive lights that get really hot can be nicked for HAZMATtoo. octopus' with compass', dive computers, etc will go in carry on luggage no problem.

Has anyone had a problem with airport securtiy about taking a strobe, DS 125 in my case, in their carry on bag?

My personal solution is to ship the gear ahead of me to the hotel where I am staying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom