Mermet Springs IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Went diving in a new place to me this weekend. It is called Mermet Springs in IL, about 12 miles from Metropolis (yes, just like in the Superman comics).

This place is definately a first class training facility and just good all around fun place to play for us land locked divers in the MO, IL area.

For things to see, there is a 727 jet from the movie US Marshalls, school bus, RR car, rock crusher and several others I did not see.

The training platforms range in 25' to 100' and are all connected to each by a guide line.

Bottom depth is about 120'. Thermal cline is at 40' and the temp dropped to 43 degrees. I was just fine in a 7mm farmer john with gloves and hood.

They have HP, LP, and Nitrox gases available. All diver prep areas are covered both for the sake of keeping you out of the rain and the sun. The tables for the tanks have tie downs to keep the tanks from falling over.

Guide lines between attractions are abundant for the diver that wants to see things, but is new to the site.

At depth, below 70', there is absolutely no light and is an awesome play to practice your night diving skills in the middle of the day.

There is an underwater sound system primarily used for diver recalls in the event of a thunderstorm or other emergency. Occassionally they will play music over it, which was a great experience, but, they do not make a habit of in order to maintain the quiet and ralaxation most of like about diving.

I highly recommend trying out Mermet if you're in the area. It is my new favorite hole to play in.

Brian

I do most of my training & practice diving at Mermet and agree with everything you've said. Glenn Faith and his crew are simply the best.

Maybe I was just there on a bad day then. I went about two years ago. Viz was nothing short of horrible. The platforms were cool and the white cats were cool to feed. The people were friendly. But it was cold when the other quarries were very warm. The school bus was cool but I was terribly disappointed in the aircraft. It was totally stripped of everything. And at the cockpit area it was extremely cold. The aircraft has NO tail section and it just a hollow tube. In fact if it didn't have the traditional aircraft shaped windows you would never know it was an aircraft.

We got there on a Saturday and paid for two days. That evening we got a refund on the 2nd day and drove down to Cerulean for some diving on that Sunday. Cerulean was warm with good viz and still had many sites to see with big fish too.

Does Mermet usually have good viz? Was I just there on a bad day or what? I've heard of several diving accidents at Mermet, what's up with that?

I'll give it another shot, mainly because I've heard so many good things about it. Hopefully it was just a bad day of diving for us.

You make some good points, however, I have been told that the viz is pretty good when it hasn't been raining for weeks on end, at least down to the 40' - 50' level. As for the temp, I found it warm above the thermal cline and comfortable below. Guess that is a personal taste thing.

I did not go into the plane, but I would not be surprised if it was just a hollow tube as you say since Mermet is used a for OW classes and you know how new OW divers can be, curious. Better safe than sorry. Granted, they may have told they are trained for an overhead environment and should avoid them, there are always a few that want to go in anyway.

School bus was not cleaned out though. Any of the more "challenging" things are at a deeper depth to keep them reserved for the more "skilled/experienced" divers since they are mostly in the darker areas and deeper than OW certified divers are supposed to go. Again, Glenn and his crew really seem to work hard on keeping things safe.

As for incidents, I really can't say. But, I do believe there is no place that has been for a while that has not seen one level of stupidity or another.

Brian

CincyBengalsFan:
Maybe I was just there on a bad day then. I went about two years ago. Viz was nothing short of horrible. The platforms were cool and the white cats were cool to feed. The people were friendly. But it was cold when the other quarries were very warm. The school bus was cool but I was terribly disappointed in the aircraft. It was totally stripped of everything. And at the cockpit area it was extremely cold. The aircraft has NO tail section and it just a hollow tube. In fact if it didn't have the traditional aircraft shaped windows you would never know it was an aircraft.

We got there on a Saturday and paid for two days. That evening we got a refund on the 2nd day and drove down to Cerulean for some diving on that Sunday. Cerulean was warm with good viz and still had many sites to see with big fish too.

Does Mermet usually have good viz? Was I just there on a bad day or what? I've heard of several diving accidents at Mermet, what's up with that?

I'll give it another shot, mainly because I've heard so many good things about it. Hopefully it was just a bad day of diving for us.

Mermet is a Deep Quarry. So, it's going to have a couple thermo clines. Cerulean is only 35 feet. From what they say on there website. Mermet is 110 feet. The Plane at Mermet starts at around 40 feet. First thermocline is usually right around there. By the time you exit towards the main cabin of the plane. It's around 55feet. And yep. It's cold. If you stay around 30feet it's actually warm. Go under a thermocline. It's gonna get cold. But, It also clears up.

During Saturday there's usually alot of students for OW classes. So, there going to be mucking the vis up. Go Deep and you don't have a problem. But it does get cold. There's usually 2 thermoclines.

They are really great people and have a great training facility. And yea, there have been accidents. When you're teaching in a deep quarry. That's going to happen. No fault of the quarry owners. If somebody goes deep. And Holds there breath to the surface. Do you blame the quarry owner? Nope.... If it was a 35ft quarry would less accidents happen? Probably. But I don't like to dive to only 35ft. Personal preference.

Don't go deep. And you don't have near the problems. But, then you don't get to see what others don't either... :wink:

Let me know when you guys are heading to Mermet. I may try to meet you guys there if I'm welcome. Thanks for the info.

CincyBengalsFan:
Let me know when you guys are heading to Mermet. I may try to meet you guys there if I'm welcome. Thanks for the info.

That's an easy one for me. I plan to go there the weekend after next. Got some LAN and cable wiring to finish up on the house. Started the project before we moved in at the end of Feb. lol

Wife said "either finish it, or I'm putting furniture in front of all the wholes." I got the hint, so I'm dry this weekend.

I'll PM you and anyone else interested when I firm up the plans.

Brian

Viz at Mermet has been as poor as 5-8 ft. after storms and with algae bloom, especially during a busy weekend.

The best conditions have been with a viz of 40-60 ft., typically during the winter and especially if you dive deeper.

Most of the time you get something in between the two, but always better if you dive deep. Yes, it's cold. Bring a hood and gloves.

One thing not yet mentioned is the abundance of fishies. Including spoonbill paddlefish!, huge albino catfish, many bluegill, etc. Very visible and plentiful above the thermocline in the summer.

Absolutely the best staff around. I have witnessed a couple incidents (not accidents, but near-misses) and the staff is right on the money when needed. They are all very well trained, have lookouts in strategic spots, and communicate by 2-way radios. Just in case, they have O2 and AED on-site.

theskull

theskull:
One thing not yet mentioned is the abundance of fishies. Including spoonbill paddlefish!, huge albino catfish, many bluegill, etc. Very visible and plentiful above the thermocline in the summer.

They are all very well trained, have lookouts in strategic spots, and communicate by 2-way radios. Just in case, they have O2 and AED on-site.

theskull

I knew I forgot something. Thanks for filling in the missing parts.

Brian

Hey BrianL,

Are you planning on any trips to Mermet in June? I've done all the quarries in middle to northern Illinois but would really like to do Mermet.

Let me know and I'll see if I can talk my wife into letting me go. I live in Bloomington so I would probably come down the evening before we would dive.

Jeff :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom