taking virgin islands cruise, where is best diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, will be taking cruise on october 3, will have stops at san juan, barbados, st. lucia, antigua, st. maarten, st. thomas. would like to dive at a couple of the stops. please give me your input for where to dive, etc. also, is it better to make your own diving arrangements rather than with the cruiseline? my husband and i have just obtained our advanced open water cert.

My favorite dive site off of St. Thomas (at Salt Island) is the wreck of the RMS Rhone. The wreck has a lot of history associated with it (it was also the wreck used in the filming of the movie "The Deep"). It is an advanced dive but the usual awesome visibility and great condition of the wreck makes it worth a stop.

Aloha and congratulations on heading to the Caribbean. I can happily recommend diving with Pete on St. Thomas at the Coki Beach Dive Club. I would try to contact him ahead of time and see what he can offer you. Because of the time needed to disembark the ship, you can sometimes miss the better boat dives. Then you get corralled onto the Cruise Ship dive trip and it won't be as good as it could be. Pete has a website and he's a good dive leader. I know he has close to twenty years experience in St. Thomas so he can really show you around. His dives are easy too with lots to see. Look him up at www.cokidive.com and tell him Shaka Doug sent you!

Ah-Lowwwww-Haaaaa!

Of those stops the best diving will be had on St. Lucia and St. Thomas in that order. You might want to post this on the cruise ship board for a better response.

Definitley go for the Rhone if you can. I've dove it a few times and it's pretty good. If you can find a DO that will go, try to go the Chikoozen. It's ~5 miles from Virgin Gorda, which is pretty close to Salt Island. It's unprotected since it's out in the middle of the ocean, but I find it's worth it. I've been on a slick calm day and during a tropical wave, and both were good, except the rain and waves in the second case :).

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom