Rechargeable batteries overseas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband is wanting to bring rechargeable batteries for our camera, dive lights and CD players (AA, C, D) and is wondering if the recharger will be compatible with available electricity overseas. Dive sites under consideration are Cozumel (Mexico), Roatan (Honduras), ABC Islands (Venezuela?) and Cayman Islands.

Another thread came up with this website. Thanks!
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Cayman Islands is listed as 120 volts and 60Hz, which is on the money, but Mexico has 127/60. Will we need any adapters/converters? Is it practical to use rechargeable batteries, or more time and trouble than they are worth?
Are there any problems transporting batteries to and from overseas? (Yes, we will be removing batteries from anything going in check-in luggage.)

Trisha:
My husband is wanting to bring rechargeable batteries for our camera, dive lights and CD players (AA, C, D) and is wondering if the recharger will be compatible with available electricity overseas. Dive sites under consideration are Cozumel (Mexico), Roatan (Honduras), ABC Islands (Venezuela?) and Cayman Islands.

Cayman Islands is listed as 120 volts and 60Hz, which is on the money, but Mexico has 127/60. Will we need any adapters/converters? Is it practical to use rechargeable batteries, or more time and trouble than they are worth?
Are there any problems transporting batteries to and from overseas? (Yes, we will be removing batteries from anything going in check-in luggage.)

We took ours to Roatan with no problems. They run the same voltage as the US. I think its worth the extra trouble because I used alot of battery juice on my two weeks vacation....=)

Brian

We had no problems in Bon Aire either.

You will want to ensure its a NiMh charger. I avoid C & D cells cause of the bulk of the charger. You can get the power converter for under $10 on EBay. A compact transformer may be a better bet since it will allow your charger and anything else you have work worldwide.

Look on the back of your charger and ensure it is the correct wattage rating for your charger.

Watts=voltage x amps

Trisha:

Bonaire is 127/50Hz so anything with a 60HZ motor might run marginally hotter. If the camera in question is a video camera, your charger/power adapter should be rated for any voltage between about 100-220 and 50/60 HZ so it will work. If you're going to charge batteries for an u/w flash, most of the bigger dive outfits have free charging stations available - they've already installed the transformer mentioned in the previous reply -since the chargers are a little fussier. Bonaire power info: http://www.infobonaire.com/technology.html

If you decide to bring disposables instead, Bonaire asks that you take them with you when you leave, their landfill has an expense associated with processing them.

As you've discovered, there's no problem on Cayman. Although there may still be intermittent power problems this spring on the East End due to Ivan damage, I haven't read whether they've replaced the permanent line yet.

Trisha,

As the others have said there is no problem with voltage. In Cozumel you will have no problem with charging.

I would purchase grounding plug adapter. It goes from three prong grounded to two prong non grounded. They're less than a dollar at Wal Mart.

In Cozumel you will find many outlets that are the two hole version in older buildings. In the new hotels you will find three prong receptables. All have 110 volt 50 -60 MZ.

In Costa Rica last year there was not a single grounded outlet in the entire wing we were staying in so I had to cut the grounding prong off my video light charger so I could recharge my battery pack.

In Cayman Islands we had no problems with grounded outlets and 110 volts. If you don't use rechargeables be sure and take your own supply of batteries as you will find them more expensive.

I have three batteries for my camera. Two on the boat and one always charging. Works out real good.

Take your batteries out of the dive lights and stow them in your checked luggage as they will get taken if you try them on carry on. Saw this happen three weeks ago in Cozumel.

Jim

With respect to Alkaline.

The one thing I have experienced often is finding old or outdated batteries in other countries. This can be very frustrating after you paid the tourist price for them.

I would definately agree that you want to bring your own supply.

Jim Baldwin:
Trisha,

As the others have said there is no problem with voltage. In Cozumel you will have no problem with charging.

I would purchase grounding plug adapter. It goes from three prong grounded to two prong non grounded. They're less than a dollar at Wal Mart.

In Cozumel you will find many outlets that are the two hole version in older buildings. In the new hotels you will find three prong receptables. All have 110 volt 50 -60 MZ.

In Costa Rica last year there was not a single grounded outlet in the entire wing we were staying in so I had to cut the grounding prong off my video light charger so I could recharge my battery pack.

In Cayman Islands we had no problems with grounded outlets and 110 volts. If you don't use rechargeables be sure and take your own supply of batteries as you will find them more expensive.

I have three batteries for my camera. Two on the boat and one always charging. Works out real good.

Take your batteries out of the dive lights and stow them in your checked luggage as they will get taken if you try them on carry on. Saw this happen three weeks ago in Cozumel.

Jim

I travel around the world with rechargable batteries. I use a "smart" charger that can charge all battery sizes with any voltage variations you will find. I only have to take the plug adapters of the destination with me.

I have traveled in many areas of the world (including the "Third" World, which I often find more sensible than our own) and can't remember ever having trouble with rechargeable NiHM or camcorder batteries. Of course I carry the appropriate adaptors.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom