Need advice on where to dive in Bahamas and Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrd3553

Reaction score
I'm going on my first ever cruise to Nassau, Cococay and Key West. We only have from 8am to 5pm in Cococay and 10am to 6pm in the Keys but we have all day to midnight in Nassau. What would be the best 2 locations to dive at? I started diving in Hawaii so I want something really comparable. The more dolphins, stingrays, sharks, etc the better. Would someone be able to give me some advice on what islands to dive or not dive and what company/boat to dive with. I'm leary of hooking up with someone from the ship excursion site. I don't want to be stuck with 50 people on a crammed boat. Something a little more local and not touristy. Any other hints on fun things to do, good bars or food please let me know. I'm heading out may 23rd.

Thanks for the help!!!!

jrd3553:
I'm going on my first ever cruise to Nassau, Cococay and Key West. We only have from 8am to 5pm in Cococay and 10am to 6pm in the Keys but we have all day to midnight in Nassau. What would be the best 2 locations to dive at? I started diving in Hawaii so I want something really comparable. The more dolphins, stingrays, sharks, etc the better. Would someone be able to give me some advice on what islands to dive or not dive and what company/boat to dive with. I'm leary of hooking up with someone from the ship excursion site. I don't want to be stuck with 50 people on a crammed boat. Something a little more local and not touristy. Any other hints on fun things to do, good bars or food please let me know. I'm heading out may 23rd.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Hi try:
www.southpointdivers.com
Valerie

A second vote for SouthPoint in Key West from me.

Haven't been to Nassau yet, but we've got an April trip planned and will be diving with Stuart Cove's.

jrd3553:
I'm going on my first ever cruise to Nassau, Cococay and Key West. We only have from 8am to 5pm in Cococay and 10am to 6pm in the Keys but we have all day to midnight in Nassau. What would be the best 2 locations to dive at? I started diving in Hawaii so I want something really comparable. The more dolphins, stingrays, sharks, etc the better.
as an aside - Seeing new and different things is good. The Carribean looks much different than Hawaii. And the small stuff is really cool too!

Damselfish:
as an aside - Seeing new and different things is good. The Carribean looks much different than Hawaii. And the small stuff is really cool too!
Yeah, I was expecting soft coral in Hawaii, didn't do my homework.
Valerie

jrd3553:

Thanks for the help!!!!

Well it sounds like you're cruising on Royal Carribean cruiselines. I just just got back from a 5-day cruise with my wife. On the first stop we did CocoCay (the shore dive) and we had an OK time. The reef there is alright, lots of large Sting Rays. We also saw some Angel Rays and the dive guide told us we even may see a Great Hammerhead but unfortunately we didn't. We did have a good time in CocoCay and the setup was good. In Nassau, the dive we had booked through the cruiseline was outstanding. Be prepared though... Once in Nassau, we de-boarded the ship and met a representative of Stuart Cove's dive outfit. She was a friendly gal but she had us walk a rather long distance to get to the van. So make sure you either pack light or equip yourself with a bag that has wheels. Once in the van the ride to the south of the island took about one hour. Yep! And that was kinda long... We finally arrived to the boat and found a very friendly and proffessional operator. They even will set up the ladie's equipment for them. We dove a wall called Razor Back and a wreck site called The Twin Sisters. Both were very nice dive sites and we came back delighted. Especially my wife who never had been on a wall before.
All that to say that you'll have a good time there.

NeoDiver

NeoDiver:
Well it sounds like you're cruising on Royal Carribean cruiselines. I just just got back from a 5-day cruise with my wife. On the first stop we did CocoCay .

In Nassau, the dive we had booked through the cruiseline was outstanding.

Neo, we are on the same cruise (with non-diving wife) this summer. Any suggestions on what to do in Nassau besides diving?

(our most likely plan now is a little shopping in the junk/tourist stores and visiting the Atlantis resort. Any dinner reccomendations near or a short taxi ride from the cruise boat dock would be nice also.

I 2nd the recommendation of using Stuart Cove. We used them about a year and a half ago and had a great time. I did dive key west last year but didn't like it that much. Alot of the companies in the marina near the cruise ships take you to shallow reefs and there is not much color or fish near them.

I decided to do the 2 tank shark dive with Stuart's Cove in Nassau and just take it easy in the Keys and Cococay due to the time constraints. Think I'll just sit on the beach and enjoy the sun and ocean and have a few drinks. This snow storm up here the last two days will make me appreciate the sun and sand all the more. I appreciate the suggestions on where to go. I'll post about the trip when I get back.

Back
Top Bottom