Regs on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Please help settle once and for all.

When flying, is it best to take your regs as carry-on luggage or check it in?

I realise it is probably safest to take it with you but I do get nervous when not-so-informed security staff at airports start looking at your equipment funny and prodding them in all sorts of ways.

In the past, I have taken it in my carry-on, but this last trip to Florida, I sent all of my gear through in checked luggage. I had to change planes once on the way there and once on the way back in Chicago (well, the ticket was free, what can I say?) and I just wanted to avoid the potential hassle. I think part of the decision may depend on your destination. How likely is it that your luggage will disappear or be delayed?

Carry them on, they are just too expensive to take the chance of letting the airllnes lose them...and then refusing to pay for them - read your ticket jacket. I just go back from a trip- Raleigh Durham/ Fort Lauterdale and Tampa. The guy at RDU stopped the X-ray, looked up at me and ask "dive gear"? I said , yes- my regulators and that was the end of that. At Tampa, they searched my computer and my shoes but did not even ask to see in the bag with the regs. I was also carring a camera and a strobe in the same bag. My dive buddy was not even ask at RDU and at Tampa they did the wand search on him but did not ask or check his bags.

I've never had a problem travelling with them. Like Herman, I've been asked what it was -- the first stage is generally what triggers the "what the heck is that?" A brief explanation, and all is well.

Carry on! Never had a problem even when travelling through the United States of Paranoia........

Jonathan

I find most major airlines supply sufficient O2 partial pressure that I don't have to bring my reg. on board..... hahahahah

All kidding aside I carry my regs with me.

Okay, maybe it is okay to take it with you - but I should tell you that my last flight was in March. It was one of those days where some idiot in an adjacent terminal happen to have in his luggage a fake grenade, which lead to evacuation of the terminal. My flight went as scheduled, but I happened to be one of those random people they chose to physically search. This would be funny if you could see me - I am hardly the type of person anyone would "profile."
Regarding the "United States of Paranoia," maybe it's just 20/20 hindsight. My mother dredged up a photo of the World Trade Center that I took as a kid from the crown of the Statue of Liberty in 1976 - ouch!

Just went to Aruba in April and we had no problems hand carrying our regs and computers. The security people must see them all the time and know what they are.

Mike

Take your regs and computer on board. Just remember to pack any regulator "tools" in yor checked luggage rather than the carry-on. I almost had a small wrench packed with my reg. in my carry on regulator bag confiscated by airport security in Indonesia.

I agree. Carry them on with you.
Regs are way too expensive to trust to the airline baggage system. We've had them questioned once, but it seems that most of the security folks know what they look like and what they are, and haven't had any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom