I left my dive knife in my carry-on luggage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Oops, I left my dive knife attached to my dive computer in my carry-on luggage.

When coming back from the Philippines last week, I had packed in a hurry the night before leaving, and I forgot to remove my dive knife from my computer/gauge console.
Well it made it past 3 or 4 checkpoints with x-ray getting into the international part of Manila airport. The last checkpoint before boarding the plane, the security guard informed me I had a dive knife in my carry-on and if I could show him where it was.
I showed him exactly where it was and of course he informed me I wasn’t allowed to carry on this knife. I told him OK, and he said he would have to confiscate it if I did not check in the bag it was in.
I told him I would be carrying on this bag (with cameras, computer, and regs), so he took the knife. Upon boarding the plane I asked the ticket agent from Cathay if they could get my knife back from security and check it on. They said they would try. Well they got the knife and told me they would check it in and bring me a claim ticket on board the plain. They did.

When I got into SFO my two checked bags came through, then I waited for who knows what, pretty soon a card board box from Cathay Pacific come around. I pick it up and sure enough the claim tickets match. I open it up, and there inside is my dive knife wrapped in paper, taped to the inside of the small box.

So if you have something confiscated by security, it doesn’t hurt to ask if it can be checked on, bombs are probably still a “no no”.:14:

It made it past three or four checkpoints????

Good lord...

the truth

I'm not surprised.

Good ending to your story. I can't believe you made it through as many checkpoints as you did. I just flew from Seattle to Austin and my buddy didn't even get his ID checked at check in. They did check it later at security but makes you wonder.

I accidentally put a dive knife in a carryon bag once too. They found it at the first checkpoint (leaving Grand Cayman), but let it go anyway. At least it was blunt tip. Pre 9/11 though.

Mona (my fianc&#233:wink: made that bloomer to last year. Luckily the guy at the x-ray machine was an avid diver too, so he recognised our regs at the same glance, and cracked up laughing!

-We managed to stop the luggage trolley and slip the knife into our luggage, and got away with the guy's email adress and a promise to send him some links to our diving website! Cool!

David,

Join the "bone head club". I left my knife in the back of my Reg Console once also. It was caught at the x-ray checkpoint right here at Mineta International (doesn't that just crack you up to say?)

I took the knife, wrapped it in a T-shirt, and stuffed it into the zippered cloth console case, and checked it in.

At the other end, I almost forgot (potential double bone head!). I picked up all my regular bags, and as I was about to leave I noticed a little tiny Suunto zippered pouch, wrapped in airline baggage label slowly cruising down the carousel. There it was, safe and sound, and fully protected from potential misuse at 35,000 feet.

Needless to say I have NEVER even come close to forgetting my knife in my console again.

Seeing Kompressor reminds me that someday I should share the story about my luggage and a knife on my first trip to Norway through Oslo.

Wristshot

I carry a small pocket knife most of the time. I remembered to check it on the way to Cozumel but forgot on the way out. Had to chunk it in the trash. Oh, well. That is why I use that particular $10 knife.

Willie

Back
Top Bottom