Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Bon Aire

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Turks & Caicos

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trixxie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Maui (been there so I pretty much know what that's like) - Don't feel much like a 12 hr plane ride however.

Bermuda - Belize - Cozumel - Bon Aire - Turks and Caicos Islands?

I have done some preliminary pricing and I can stay at a nice hotel + air to Bermuda for the same amount it would cost me for airfare alone to get from ATL to Maui.

I would want to stay at hotel where they have a guide or other divers to go with since hubby does not dive and is not interested in learning. Had a bad 1st time guided dive in Maui (claustrophobia along with being very underweighted). So we would also need some "other than diving" things to do too.

Nothing in concrete yet just prelim planning. Is there a better time of year to go than another? I was in the Caymans in Apr 97 and the weather was great.

Latest Scuba Diving Magazine has a whole article on Turks & Caicos, lots of great detail.

I'd have to imagine that from ATL you could get in/out of there very easily.

I just got back from Maui, Kona, and Lanai, and it was fantastic. But I went "to go to hawaii" and dove while I was there, as opposed to "going on a dive vacation."

RJP3:
I just got back from Maui, Kona, and Lanai, and it was fantastic. But I went "to go to hawaii" and dove while I was there, as opposed to "going on a dive vacation."

That's a smart way to look at Hawaii and diving.

To the original question- there's a big difference between Bermuda and the rest of that list.

Best advice? Dump the non-diving husband. Cut your losses. Either that, or explain to him that better diving experiences can be had in a more selected environment. Have him try again. This is a lifestyle you might had better start sharing.

I've been to three out of five of your choices (no Belieze or Bermuda). I really like Hawaii but it is a long ride from the mid-west. Hawaii has some excellent dives and there is plenty to do topside on Maui. Oahu has some interesting beaces and lots of history. The Manta dive on the Big Island is still on our list, although we've dove there we were skunked on the Mantas.
Coz diving is great, but the party scene/loud is not my style.
Bonaire is wonderful, easy diving but does take a bit to get to and there was a cruise ship landing while we were there...hmmm.
Turks and Caicos, great diving with Fifi, no cruise ship at Provo yet. Plenty of beach and quiet, there is alot of building going on so this could change someday.
My choice for best close....Turks and Caicos.

Things I would consider:

Your husband doesn't dive, what will he do while you are diving ?

Bermuda: good non-diving stuff, but the diving itself doesn't compare to the others.

Belize: diving out on the atolls is good, but nothing for your husband to do. Ambergris diving is not as good.

Cozumel: good topside, good diving, hurricane affected the shallows, but not much in the deep.

Bonaire: limited topside stuff for your husband, but close easy shore dives means you can spend a lot of time together.

Turks & Caicos: limited topside, but great beaches, long boat rides means your husband will not see you until late afternoon.

Decisions, decisions.....:D

ronrosa:
... Turks & Caicos: limited topside, but great beaches, long boat rides means your husband will not see you until late afternoon.

Decisions, decisions.....:D

Not on Grand Turk or Salt Cay. With the exception of running out to the Endymion, the diving is 10 or 15 minutes away at the most.

donacheson:
Not on Grand Turk or Salt Cay. With the exception of running out to the Endymion, the diving is 10 or 15 minutes away at the most.

Good point. I should have said T&C Provo.

I'll be in Bermuda on Sunday 21st May. I'll let You know about the diving there. I haven't been there in over 30yrs. I remember the diving was great there. I'l be doing some comparisons. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom