What c-card do you show on vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrh

Registered
Reaction score
This is something I've always been curious about. Assuming that a person has progressed beyond basic OW and gotten their advanced card, possibly rescue, maybe even some specialties and so on and at least a few hundred dives under their belt, on a trip with strangers is it best to be honest and show their most advanced card (i.e. a d.m. or instructor card) or should they keep their skill level under wraps so they don't get stuck babysitting?

I've always been honest, because the ethics of not coming clean with the card eat at me. My honesty invariably gets me stuck diving with somebody fresh out of basic. (This is all a moot point now that I've gotten my new hubby started down this strange addictive road, but I'm still curious about what other people do.) I don't mind helping, but sometimes it's nice not to dive with someone that isn't counting on you to make every decision for them and doesn't suck air like a Hummer sucks gas!

It's tempting to just pull out whatever it is I need to be allowed to do the dive I'm on and leave it at that. Just curious to know what others here do...???

Many professionals will flash a Rescue/AOW card and choose not to broadcast their DM/instructor status. This is to avoid any possible liability in many cases, though I am sure there are cases where the fear of babysitting also plays a factor.

Honestly I have no problem with this -- if I'm on a vacation that I paid good money for, I would rather be able to relax and enjoy the diving. I don't mind diving with an inexperienced diver (we were all one once), but I'd prefer not to have that decision made for me.

I'm not sure it really matters, as the boats I've been on only have you show it as you're paying. That said, I often tell my rent-a-buddy (when I'm not diving with my brother) that I've taken and am practiced in rescue techniques. This usually gets us talking about contingency plans. In fact, the only faux-paus I've had was on a relaxed shore dive when the whole "which c-card do you have" conversation never came up, so my buddy and I didn't end up going over contingency plans. Definitely learned my lesson that day (nothing bad happened other than my buddy and I yelling at each other).

On all the trips I've been on, it doesn't matter. They usually say, "I don't care; give me the one with the worst picture on it!" It makes no difference. They figure if you have an advanced or specialty cert then you must have open water cert, and that is all that matters.

Maybe I'm just too darn helpful then... It always seems like the boat crew ends up putting me to work! :(( Or maybe I just end up putting myself to work. One way or another, I wonder if I was more stealthy if I'd end up spending less time checking other people's gear and sitting on the boat because I got stuck with an air hog and more time doing what I paid to do. I'm just glad to finally have a full time, live in, buddy now so this whole thing will no longer be an issue. Hubby says I'm just too nice... always rescuing stray puppies and whatnot :D, so maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the silly cards. Who knows?

Nitrox is the only card that anyone ever cares to ask about. It's the one to keep handy.

A lot of Instructors I know will only show their AOW card. If you're paying to dive, there's no reason you should work, unless you want to.

I don't get it, why would anyone want to work during their vacation.. if it were me, I'll take care of my close ones in the group and mind my own business, after all, I'm on vacation..

I do understand Ego getting in the way, but almost all the instructors I've known don't have that problem..

I keep my nitrox care in my wallet. That way I can get nitrox at the shop. I keep my AOW card in my gear bag so I know I will have a C-card when I get aboard the boat. I keep my Rescue card in my log book. And I keep my OW card at home in case I lose the others.

I don't worry about liability issues just by being more than an OW diver. (Liability arises if you undertake actions. Eventually NetDoc will post my article on liability issues.)

ItsBruce:
Liability arises if you undertake actions.

or if you fail to take action. or more broadly, if, having a duty, you fail to act
or act negligently

for example, there's a case i read recently were a buddy's failure to conduct a
pre-dive equipment check was deemed negligent after her buddy died during
the dive

i do the same thing you do. keep OW at home, AOW and Nitrox on logbook, Rescue one me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom