Taking Cameras on Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aic007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok,

We have established basic carry on regulations for airplanes in other posts but how do you take your camera gear to the dive boat. Do you take the whole case, put it in a duffle bag, do boat operators have limits on what can be brought aboard? Any info would be great. Going away soon and trying to decide if I want to buy a hard case for my camera gear or a soft case which would be easier to carry around and I can always put it into another bag.

Thanks,
AIC007

I don't use anything normally. I just lay it down out of the way and cover it up with a towel. Will you be going out for multi tank dives? A soft sided case works well depending on the size of your camera.

probably, not to sure yet still trying to get all the planning down. As far as the camera its th a620 with ikelite tray and housing, also have the ds-50 substrobe but might not take it cause I don't think I am going to go too deep the first several dives.

Well since it will be first dives after cert, probably around 40-50ft. I figure that the camers flash with the diffuser should be enough since I prob wont be doing too much real close macro, but always could use a tip from someone who shoots as well as you do.

I think you might be right to leave the camera back for at least a few dives. That will give you a chance to practice. You will love taking pictures U/W. It is a great hobby but it does take some getting used to, trying to keep your buoyancy correct and watching your gauges. It's a good idea to get a few dives under your belt first.
There are a lot of great photographers on this board that are more than willing to help any way we can.

so you would suggest a soft case since its not that much gear as opposed to lugging around a 10lb hard case? Don't want to travel to heavy, will be renting equiptment for the dives but bringing my own mask snorkle and fins so if I could cut down on the extra baggage it would be great. I figure I would get a case for just getting from one location to the next as well as for storage purposes but putting the camera and equiptment in a bag to take on the boat.

Thanks again for the info,

I fly International a lot and because of baggage restrictions I carry my housing and ports in a suitcase. I have a Pelican case for them but it costs way too much for an extra bag. I would suggest packing everything in a suitcase. I do store the housing in a hard case at home.

thanks for all the help on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom