Diveable warship sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tagerisatroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
One of my long term goals is to get helox certified and do some deep dives to some of the more interesting battleship/warship sights... Like Bikini Atoll but the recent forum descussions on the Mighty O has brought an air craft carrier to my attention I didn't even Know about(the O) that is basicly the same dive conditions as Saratoga (one I was planing on diving in a few years). and I was wondering if there was any other ones hiding out there :) in plain site.

For comparison the Saratoga is the shallowest dive at Bikini. She sits upright on the seabed 190ft below the surface, but her bridge superstructure can be clearly seen from the surface, being only 40ft down. Spiralling down the bridge you arrive at the flight deck in about 90ft. The gaping maws that are the main elevators lead down to the hanger deck at about 130ft.

The Oriskany Highest part of structure is at 68 feet, Top deck level on island is at 71 feet, Top of forward gun platform is at 95 feet, Tip of aft gun platform is at 97 feet, Top of forward bridge is at 106 feet, the Flight deck at mid-island is at 135 feet, and the bottom of the wreck wrests at 212 feet.

As you can see the sights are simlar even though the ships have differnt levels of drawbacks and attractions. Anyway the two ships are comprable in size the O being 300 feet shorter is the smaller of the two and being Stripped before going to the bottom it has the advantage of being a mere 30 miles of the floridia coast and for a $300-500 plane ticket and the cost of the boat ride and Gas your diving an aircraft carry VS $3000-5000 Just for the dive trip to Bikini Seems like a good deal to me.

Anyway, my question is have they reefed or scutted any of the old Battleships or cruisers in diveable water?

Scarpa Flow in Scotland has the German Grand Fleet from WW1 (74 ships were scuttled - many were refloated or salvaged but still meant to be pretty amazing - cold water diving. For warm water wrecks - Truk Lagoon is pretty famous...

Tagerisatroll:
One of my long term goals is to get helox certified and do some deep dives to some of the more interesting battleship/warship sights... Like Bikini Atoll but the recent forum descussions on the Mighty O has brought an air craft carrier to my attention I didn't even Know about(the O) that is basicly the same dive conditions as Saratoga (one I was planing on diving in a few years). and I was wondering if there was any other ones hiding out there :) in plain site.

For comparison the Saratoga is the shallowest dive at Bikini. She sits upright on the seabed 190ft below the surface, but her bridge superstructure can be clearly seen from the surface, being only 40ft down. Spiralling down the bridge you arrive at the flight deck in about 90ft. The gaping maws that are the main elevators lead down to the hanger deck at about 130ft.

The Oriskany Highest part of structure is at 68 feet, Top deck level on island is at 71 feet, Top of forward gun platform is at 95 feet, Tip of aft gun platform is at 97 feet, Top of forward bridge is at 106 feet, the Flight deck at mid-island is at 135 feet, and the bottom of the wreck wrests at 212 feet.

As you can see the sights are simlar even though the ships have differnt levels of drawbacks and attractions. Anyway the two ships are comprable in size the O being 300 feet shorter is the smaller of the two and being Stripped before going to the bottom it has the advantage of being a mere 30 miles of the floridia coast and for a $300-500 plane ticket and the cost of the boat ride and Gas your diving an aircraft carry VS $3000-5000 Just for the dive trip to Bikini Seems like a good deal to me.

Anyway, my question is have they reefed or scutted any of the old Battleships or cruisers in diveable water?

http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/subindex.htm

Back
Top Bottom