Sept Diving - Unsure where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I plan on booking a trip somewhere to dive for a week or 2 but unsure where. Hopefully I can get some advice from the great people here...:)

I was thinking of either Aruba, Bonaire, cozumel or Florida. If Florida what part would be good on the eastern coast? But also I would like to visit my parents in Clearwater and was thinking maybe the western coast also.

I've been reading the boards in those areas but still being a new diver I'm unsure. And I would be traveling solo, cost is an issue I would like something not to extreme cost wise but I've found good prices in all locations.

Being a new diver almost any place would be exciting to me, but would like to get some input as to where the more experienced divers here would go on their first dive trip.

Thanks in advance..
-rhyz

Hello fellow New Jerseyan (actually we live on Bonaire now!) FYI, Continental flies direct Sat-Sat from Newark to Curacao, than it is a short hop to Bonaire (15 minute flight max)!

Bonaire is not only known for it's amazing Scuba Diving, but it's friendly divers, so as a solo diver you will have no problem finding a "buddy" to hook up with!

Also, since it is September, Air Jamaica is having a special! You can fly RT Philly - Bonaire - Philly Sat-Sat for $434 including taxes!

Check it out!

Yup I was looking at that also liz, one of the reasons I put Bonaire down on the list..:)

Also for more info:

Currently have 6 dives, 2 atlantic wreck dives

max depth to date 70'
Temp: 50
Taking Nitrox
AOW dives are last week in Aug, and have a night ocean dive on the 16th.

Hopefully I can get some more dives in on the following weekends but transportation kinda blows as we only have one car atm. And the wife gets dibs on it. :)

You would be fine on Bonaire. It is a GREAT place for beginner divers. I actually did my checkout dives here 15 years ago. I have also done Atlantic Diving (off of Point Pleasant) and I MUCH prefer Bonaire, MUCH better vis, MUCH more color (NJ is kind of mono-chromatic, I think...and I wasn't that deep, maybe 15 feet). Though I did enjoy the dives, I remember diving the train bridge in Point Pleasant and seeing a lot.

The car situation is tough...can't imagine you getting your gear on NJ Transit trains and buses to go from Trenton to Pt. Pleasant...long trip. But then again if you REALLY are addicted to diving.......LOL....

Yeah atm I'm just doing dives with my LDS and catch rides with them for the most part. I went out of Point Pleasant also on my first ocean dive Sunday, was great. And yes I'm addicted and have thought about the gear and the trains..LOL

I can also recommend Bonaire to someone with your level of experience.
Good diving, zero or very low current at most sites.
Most of the reefs have a max depth of 70ft or so.
This is a diving Island, not to much else to do.
If you can hook up with a good group you can do unlimited shore diving which is the perfect way to practice your skills.
Early evening dives as the sun sets are one of my favorites. You can watch the reef go from day mode to night.

You will need a dive computer to get the best out of Bonaire.
You don’t say if you have all your own gear. I have but the rental gear looked ok.
A dive skin is plenty for Bonaire, if you can get 2. Putting on a wet dive skin is not the most pleasant experience.
Check your buoyancy every couple of days, you mighty be surprised at how much less lead you will need by the end of the first week.

Great weather, some good restaurants, informal so leave the Tux at home.
I have been 5 times and I will go back when circumstances allow.

I have most of my gear to start off with:

3mil full wetsuit
Legend LX ACD /octo on low pressure
Seaquest Balance
Smart Z hoseless Comp
Princeton Tek Lights
Boots, fins, mask, snorkle....etc

And yes more to come later...:)

Rhyz, I live in Jersey by Giant Stadium but lived in Fl. for many years. I have also dove in all the places you mentioned. I lived on both coasts and would drive to Key Largo or Palm beach to dive before diving the west coast. If cost and easy arrival is most important, than West Palm or Ft. lauderdale. Jet blue flies from Newark for $79. All drift diving and you'll see about the same wild life as you would in the other spots. Bonaire is a must at some point (as is Cozumel) for best overall diving due to the numerous locations, proximity to shore, and little current. Most dive sites are easily reached from shore. The plaza, where we stayed had one of the best dive sites literally in front of the hotel and the Plaza is the only hotel with a real beach. They have tanks sitting by the water 24hrs a day so you have unlimited diving. If multiple diving is your main objective then Bonaire is the only choice. Any question please ask otherwise have a great time.

My opinion.....Bonaire is perfect for new divers. My husband and I did our first ocean dives there and 20 some odd more last January. It was a great way to do some easy diving with great vis and no currents. Biggest thing to me was the ability to do shore diving safely and easily without DM's accompanying. Reefs are parallel to shore and are marked with buoys. Use your compass, practice your buoyancy, build your confidence in the ability to dive with your buddy. Fantastic night diving. All very easy. Since then we have dove Fiji, Cozumel and Roatan and are heading out to Cayman on our first liveaboard next month and with just under 100 dives this year. Bonaire was a great start and I would go back in a NY minute!

Bonaire sounds like the perfect place for me to keep practicing, there are alot of things I'd like to work on but would like to just get away from it all up here.

So far looking for packages/air fare and such Bonaire isnt to expensive either. And thats a plus seeing as I've dropped alot of money (well more than I would have thought at first) just to start this great sport so far...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom