My Travel Perk Credit Card Experiment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just bit the bullet for the Platinum Am X for the travel perks this morning. I needed the ability to get past security without a boarding pass and even though you can get a day pass membership for around 50 dollars, this way I can take guests (family members etc) to the gates when I want....Might be a waste of money, we will see.

The consierge service they say you can send bags ahead. I think it might be convenient to send things home (timing would be less crucial).

Membership includes room upgrades, car discounts. It will be an experiment..I will report what happens. They are a bit secretive about the perks. For example, you have a consierge number but cannot interogate them before buying the annual fee.

Still, the three lounges included will maybe get used more now that the airport scene has gotten sort of nuts. I heard they have little sleeping cubicles in some airports...

Anybody out there milking this angle already?

Oh, and the two miles for each dollar on the Rewards card just got discontinued which is very, very, very SAD. I liked that card because the mileage was good on many arlines. Now, it is 1:1.

I noticed recently that my Citibank American card has pulled some tricks on me recently with changing the billing cycle and charging a late fee when it was not late. They played hard ball up to the last second and I said okay, cancel the card and then they took the fee off. Scammers. Another Credit card ploy lately is to get consumer info for a 10 % discount at the register and then I recieved a cc in the mail. The word VISA was never mentioned. You really have to watch these companies now, more than ever.

Oh..and regarding the recent discussion about rental car insurance waiver (Mexico, etc) I hope to try and figure that out as well. Once I get the card, I plan to inquire about all the what if's. I would think if the merchant accepts the card they would have to accept the insurance terms.

What's the yearly fee?

I got offered a platinum card once but it was bloody expensive...

Keep us advised. I just about have had it with my United Airlines card. I don't think they like me all that much since I pay it off each month. They pulled the same garbage on billing date and their online payment is always a day or later than noted. I used it for the miles but am ready to can the card. I just need to check to see if I lose my miles if I can the card.

Charles

Three hundred for a business...I use my angelfish productions and home address.

the personal was 385.

yes, it will either pay for itself, or it won't. I plan to track it for a year... The gold card has a free first year, include some perks, but not the lounges at airports. I have minors I am always sending off on flights, so maybe I will use it more than most. they say you get room upgrades automatically. I will see how this goes. I plan to experiment with the bags getting shipped ahead service....at least going home on international trips, where you always seem to have more than you came with.

yes, Charles, same here.
I have had people say this Am X card pays for itself in perks, but I am suspicious.
I want to check out the purchase insurance claims as well. Everybody has seen the ad where the lady leaves the antique teapot in the taxi? Evidently you are insured for loss...want to read the fine print, maybe test this out a bit.

I know they say the miles don't expire and the mileage on the green Rewards card is linked to this one. So..I will move the miles over and then cancel the other one.

I like United because they have the "economy plus" seats where you can get business class for an extra 30-40 dollars at the airport.

yes.

I do know that the conversion of foreign currency is better on a card than changing money locally it seems. I bought some things in Iceland and got a better conversion than my friends who changed money and brought traveler's checks.

They mentioned that the bags were insured for 1200 dollars which might be nice with camera and scuba gear. I am curious to see the "travel insurance" that they tout. The person on the phone wasn't very good at answering the questions. I did just call the regular number though.

Be prepared for long hours reading legal 4 font print language.:( But you have to do it to see what you get. I am very interested in what you find out.

Charles

What's the deal on shipping bags ahead? I looked at the AmEx website but couldn't find anything on that perk. That comes pretty close to being worthwhile all by itself if it really works. I looked into shipping bags ahead by UPS or something and it was more than the cost of the Platinum AmEx card to ship one 50-lb. bag.

catherine96821:
yes.

I do know that the conversion of foreign currency is better on a card than changing money locally it seems. I bought some things in Iceland and got a better conversion than my friends who changed money and brought traveler's checks.
Get a CapitalOne card for international travel. The currency conversion is free; most credit cards charge 3%.

I've got that card and almost 300,000 points right now. I found that booking flights through Amex is more expensive than through expedia. We got a Hertz Gold membership for free when we got the card and get better deals on rental cars. I use this card mostly for business expenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom