DAN or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DianeToo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a livaboard over New Years (choice was helped much by advice from these boards.... thanks!). I need to decide on insurance in the next 3-5 days. There is lots of helpful travel insurance advice on this site already. But I am concerned about medical coverage.

I had read somewhere that the DAN coverage was problematic. Many facilities dont accept it because of some recent policy changes, the insurance part of the institution was iffy. you may need to pay out of pocket then get reimbursed. This may have been a biased review and I may be confusing details.

Does anyone have insight about this? Is DAN the only or the best dive insurance?

thanks for any help.

The issues with payment from DAN had to do with "usual and customary" charges not being accepted by one parent company of several chambers. Never did a client get refused treatment - it was a post-treatment reimbursement issue. That issue seems to have been resolved between that operator and DAN.

I always carry DAN insurance in addition to separate trip insurance. While I'm probably overinsured, the DAN policy doesn't cost much, and chambers around the world are familiar with it. If I have a dive accident, I don't want to have to worry about a non-dive insurer trying to figure out what treatment I should have. I want dive docs to oversee it.

I have had Dan for over three years now. and my renewal is approcing fast. I will again renew with them.

I had read somewhere that the DAN coverage was problematic. Many facilities dont accept it because of some recent policy changes, the insurance part of the institution was iffy. you may need to pay out of pocket then get reimbursed. This may have been a biased review and I may be confusing details.

Does anyone have insight about this?
Press release from April:
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/news/article.asp?newsid=757

Other insurance options:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151604

After talking with the people from DAN at a dive event this spring, I renewed my DAN insurance. All of the problems with Caribean chamber operators have been taken care of.

If you don't want to go with DAN, there are other choices like DiveAssure and PADI to name two.

Personally, I have DAN and will continue with my policy in the future. They've been around a long time and definitely have the name recognition around the world that gives me comfort.

For about $100/year its cheap for peace of mind. There are a lot of other benefits that come along with the Platinum policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom