Dive location that meets these requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't decide where to go for the "big" 2 week dive trip we take every summer. This year we spend a week diving the wrecks in Key Largo and a week on The Juliet liveaboard in the Bahamas. I'm starting to look for where to go next. These aren't the only trips or dives we make in the year obviously, just the big 2 week vacation one that doesn't involve work related travel or cold water with 20 foot viz :D.

That said, these are the thing that I want in a location. It must meet all these criteria:

• NO divemaster led requirement on the boat dives or shore dives.
  • Warm water (80 degrees or more).
  • Decent viz--50 feet or more is great.
  • Intermediate and advanced diving.
  • At least 60 minutes allowed for each dive location.
  • Ability to dive 3 more dives per day.
  • Wreck diving available--the more the better.
  • No cattle boats packed to the gills--er-utters
  • Ability to dive over 50 feet is the norm not the exception.
  • I really don't appreciate macro life. I like larget fish and creatures.
  • Cheap is preferred, moderate is acceptable. I don't want another expensive dive trip though. As examples: Key Largo was on the high side. Oahu was on the really high side.
I would prefer not to dodge swarms of killer mosquitos (I do that here in Alaska all summer) and no-see-ums. I am allergic to them and it can become very uncomfortable for me. Plus the Benadryl I end up having to live on makes me drowsy. I'm ok-sort of- if I use DEET so this isn't a disqualifier.

We go to dive and don't care in the slightest about nightlife or other activities. We aren't picky about food so as long as it doesn't kill me I'm fine with anything. We don't drink when we dive, before or after, so alcohol availability/cost is not a factor.

A clean room with indoor plumbing--a balcony is nice so we can let our gear dry after rinsing it.

Both hubby and I insist on handling our own gear including setup. We are pathological about not having anyone messing with our gear--especially the setup. So places that advertise this kind of assistance or offer lockers to store equipment mean nothing to us. Not interested.

The last requirement is that the operator must not have personal hangups about long hose configurations, open water ascents, and deep stops/minimum deco. I've heard enough bad stories to know that I need to specify this upfront.

Ok--so where do you all suggest we go? The trip is normally 2 weeks not counting the 2 days we need to travel coming from Alaska.

Does such a place exist outside of my mind?

For what you're looking for, I'd have to say the Bahamas are the cheapest location for lots of bigger critters and wrecks. Once you've demonstrated your ability, I believe Stuart Cove's in Nassau will allow you to go your own way. The 60 minute on boat dives may be a bit rough, but it meets your other requirements. Wrecks out of Nassau and Grand Bahama, big critters all around. Not really intermediate/advanced most places, but not sure where you can find that *and* cheap together, especially without divemaster requirement.

If it doesn't have to be mid-summer, have you thought about Sea of Cortez/LaPaz, Mexico?

Cheap rules out GC (which otherwise would probably be a really good option for you), no divemaster takes out Cozumel. Big critters aren't the draw in Bonaire. Dominica the same and they have the led dives from the boats. I can't think of any operations in Belize/Roatan which don't have led dives from the boats, though they draw the bigger critters.

Looking forward to see what others come up with.

What do you mean by "deep stops/minimum deco"? I don't know of any recreational diving operators who are going to be OK with deco. They are going to want you to stay within no-deco limits.

Even without that, this sounds like a tall order.

That's a pretty tough list to do completely.
Bonaire or Curacao would fit most of it except for lots of wrecks and big critters. There are no DMs and you can set any profile you want when shore diving. How many dives a day you do is only limited to your endurance and NDL's.

If you want lots of deep wrecks and big fish, including sharks, you may want to consider North Carolina. We have tons of wrecks, most in the 100-130 ft range. Water temp may be a little cooler than you want; late summer is in the mid 70s. Our ops are use to more tech oriented divers and there are no DMs in the water. The down side is the wrecks tend to be 2 to 3 hrs off shore and the weather is unpredictable. You could get a week of flat seas or a week no one dives.

divingjd:
What do you mean by "deep stops/minimum deco"? I don't know of any recreational diving operators who are going to be OK with deco. They are going to want you to stay within no-deco limits.

Even without that, this sounds like a tall order.

This is recreational diving, not deco diving. It's a DIR term that I included for those familiar with it. Don't let the term confuse you. It's another way of saying deep stops. You come up slower doing 3 mins at varying depths to off gas, as opposed to what is generally taught (go straight to 15 ft for 3 mins).

Definitely not tech diving.

BurBunny:
For what you're looking for, I'd have to say the Bahamas are the cheapest location for lots of bigger critters and wrecks. Once you've demonstrated your ability, I believe Stuart Cove's in Nassau will allow you to go your own way. The 60 minute on boat dives may be a bit rough, but it meets your other requirements. Wrecks out of Nassau and Grand Bahama, big critters all around. Not really intermediate/advanced most places, but not sure where you can find that *and* cheap together, especially without divemaster requirement.

If it doesn't have to be mid-summer, have you thought about Sea of Cortez/LaPaz, Mexico?

Cheap rules out GC (which otherwise would probably be a really good option for you), no divemaster takes out Cozumel. Big critters aren't the draw in Bonaire. Dominica the same and they have the led dives from the boats. I can't think of any operations in Belize/Roatan which don't have led dives from the boats, though they draw the bigger critters.

Looking forward to see what others come up with.

I was not impressed with the Stuart Cove operation when they moored next to us on my liveaboard trip this summer. I liked the diving in that area, but I wouldn't want to stay on the island. Way too crowded and touristy.

I will probably be diving in the Sea of Cortez this winter since I have to go to Phoenix for work.

Grand Cayman is looking good, I think. Cheap is preferred but only if I can get what I'm looking for. A middle of the road (not cheap not really expensive) is fine.

Thanks for the explanation on the "minimal deco." I can see why you are concerned. I've had DMs who didn't like the fact that I like to do my safety stops at 20 ft. and do short deep stops on deep dives if it's not a real multilevel dive.

If you are willing to consider Grand Cayman, look at Cayman Brac and Little Cayman. The diving's great and you are not required to dive with a DM. They declare the pool open and off you go. There's a DM available to give tours if anybody wants them. Both operations there I am familiar with (Reef Divers at Little Cayman Beach Resort and Brac Reef Resort, and Dive Tiara at Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac), tend to set up your gear. I always want to set up my own gear, just because it's a good idea and because others have done it wrong when I have let them, so I either just tell them I will do it myself or make sure to check it all myself. The Divi is pretty reasonable. There is a pretty fair number of bigger animals (turtles, groupers of all sorts including goliath groupers, barracuda, tarpon, nurse sharks, not many other sharks), but if you can learn to like the smaller critters, there are lots of them. I can highly recommend LCBR and the Divi.

Back
Top Bottom