Advice for late December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's the deal. My wife and I were intending to travel and dive with our LDS to Roatan in March 07. Turns out my daughter is due to deliver her first baby at that time and we can't get away then. The only other time between now and next June that I can get away is from around Dec 18, 06 to Jan 7, 07. We've been to and like Cozumel and might go back there, but would like to try something different. I've been to Roatan and liked it a lot. We've also been to Aruba and liked it but have no desire to go back there. Not been to Bonaire yet, so how about that one? Knowing that we are looking at a relatively expensive time to travel, we are still looking for a good, but hopefully reasonalby priced dive vacation. So... have we waited too long to book for the upcoming holidaty season? Where would be the best bang for our buck? We would be traveling from Wisconsin, USA.

Any adivice from travel veterans would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike and Lisa

congrats Mike!

Maui is nice but pricy.

Another option where you can use your Spanish skills is Puerto Vallarta. We were there last August and loved the diving. The water is A little chilly in December but you are used to that. I believe that is Humpback whale season but it might be a little early. The best part of diving there the giant Mantas! We dove with Twin Dolphins and they were great.

http://www.twindolphinspv.com/index.html

Bonaire is a wonderful place to visit at the end of the year. We have been on the island during the Christmas to New Years time period several times and have loved it. I know American was running some really nice air fare sales but, I can't remember if they covered your time period or not.

You can't beat unlimited shore diving for the price in my opinion. I truly love the freedom of being able to dive when I want to and not having to worry about a boat schedule.

I, too, have been to Roatan and if you liked it there with all the macro stuff you should really like Bonaire.

You might want to contact Liz at golden reef inn as she can usually put together a very reasonable package including air fare. www.goldenreefinn.com

stevenq99:
congrats Mike!

Maui is nice but pricy.

Another option where you can use your Spanish skills is Puerto Vallarta. We were there last August and loved the diving. The water is A little chilly in December but you are used to that. I believe that is Humpback whale season but it might be a little early. The best part of diving there the giant Mantas! We dove with Twin Dolphins and they were great.

http://www.twindolphinspv.com/index.html

It is whale season & they have some cool whale tours. I got mega whale pictures in December & yes, that water is friken cold! :lol:

While I am a big Bonaire fan, Curacao may also be an option. It has similar diving to Bonaire but is a little easier to get to. If you choose Bonaire, do give Golden Reef Inn a try. They are off the water but the saving is well worth it to me.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into all the suggestions.

Mike

I'd back up the suggestions to contact Liz at Golden Reef. She just put together a pkg for us last wk to spend 2 wks in Bonaire, flying out Christmas Day. American had reasonable fares (relative term, $784. out of Ptld, OR) and Liz set up the whole deal quick and easy. She pays attention to details and works wonders!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom