Should a dive op give you your money back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Y'all

I am going through an issue currently due to my wife suddenly coming down very sick, to the point she was in the Hospital for a week.
We had booked a 2 week vacation, that, of course, we had to cancel with 1 1/2 weeks to go before the start date. Now the problem.
The dive operator is saying they will not rerturn any of the almost 4000.00 we paid them in advance. They did grudgingly offer to allow us to reschedule for another date, but at first they said that was also off the table.

So I was wondering.. Should they give us the money back with a cancellation fee or something, or is it ok for them to take our money and run with it? Last year they cancelled on us, and offered us the money back, but because we were forced to cancel, no deal.
I am concerned that the company may not be in business next year, or my wife may never be able to dive again, so we would still be out all that money.
All the other outfits that were involved in this trip have given us our money back in full, like airlines, and hotels, and the other dive ops. Because they were so good about it, they get my undieing support and future business. It's just this one op that refuses. Am I out of line here? I know..TRIP INSURANCE!! Next time you can bet I'll get that. I wanted to this time, but the spousal unit said no, and all you guys out there know what that means.

This is not a Dive operator issue, this is a vacation issue. I think they are being very nice, offering to allow a reschedule. They could just say send someone in your place, in which case EBAY the vacation.

Good luck

Not knowing the terms of the arrangement it is difficult to say. $4000.00 sounds like a lot for just diving so was this a private charter you reserved for a whole week?

If this was just a regular dive op then they should most certainly give you most if not all of your money back!

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge if they do not come around.

Again I do not know the exact terms of the deal so it is hard to say....

(also why did you pay so much up front?? I would not do that)

RussR the OP said it was a 2 week vacation. So $4k for 2weeks for 2 is not cheap but not over the top either.

Trip insurance FTW! Consider it an expensive life lesson.

Sounds to me like you're out of luck, count the blessings that this dive op is at least letting you reschedule. If you're really that against going at a later date, like one of the other posters said, put it up on e-bay.

Its not unusual for all of the money to be paid 1 1/2 weeks before the trip.

As for cancelling, whats their policy on cancelling a trip? If they have a full refund policy 1 month out then or such....well then they are doing nothing wrong as they still have to pay for you to not go....why not just find a buddy to go and give them $500 off the price or something....better to eat $500 than lose $4000.....

I know you said about trip insurance, and this is why I stress it to all we book trips for, but it really does work and in my minds is a necessity for any trip and worth the $50-100......

From what little bit that is known....if it was us, I would give you as much back as possible(sometimes this cant happen though on big trips), or offer to get you on another trip......

Sometimes, if 15 people are going on a trip there is a special price for all 15 saving sometimes up to 1-2 people for free.....now if 2 people cancel, should everyone elses trip go up $100-200 more??

Sorry about your vacation and I do feel for you, Im just trying to offer a view from the other side.....

I'm sure if you read all of your contract you'll find the cancellation date cutoff. The rescheduling of your vacation doesn't sound like a bad offer. Like Derek said. Trip insurance, the only way to go.

diverrick:
Hi Y'all

I am going through an issue currently due to my wife suddenly coming down very sick, to the point she was in the Hospital for a week.
We had booked a 2 week vacation, that, of course, we had to cancel with 1 1/2 weeks to go before the start date. Now the problem.
The dive operator is saying they will not rerturn any of the almost 4000.00 we paid them in advance. They did grudgingly offer to allow us to reschedule for another date, but at first they said that was also off the table.

So I was wondering.. Should they give us the money back with a cancellation fee or something, or is it ok for them to take our money and run with it? Last year they cancelled on us, and offered us the money back, but because we were forced to cancel, no deal.
I am concerned that the company may not be in business next year, or my wife may never be able to dive again, so we would still be out all that money.
All the other outfits that were involved in this trip have given us our money back in full, like airlines, and hotels, and the other dive ops. Because they were so good about it, they get my undieing support and future business. It's just this one op that refuses. Am I out of line here? I know..TRIP INSURANCE!! Next time you can bet I'll get that. I wanted to this time, but the spousal unit said no, and all you guys out there know what that means.

wow this must of been some holiday you mention that most of the outfits have given you your money back and there is still how them 4000$ or what part of the 4000 are still trying to get????

It's pretty clear they have the controlling hand here. But if they were willing to negotiate last time when they initiated the cancelation (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=152600) I would hope they would make a similar attempt this time. The potential for good or bad publicity from this should make them want to find a solution that doesn't just cost both of you more than it should.

awap:
It's pretty clear they have the controlling hand here. But if they were willing to negotiate last time when they initiated the cancelation (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=152600) I would hope they would make a similar attempt this time. The potential for good or bad publicity from this should make them want to find a solution that doesn't just cost both of you more than it should.

This forum should not always be used to "blackmail" people into not following what rules they already have in place. THis happens in my eyes, too much on here. Sometimes it is warranted...but other times, it seems like people just want to look out for themselves and take no personal liability in what happened......I dont think bashing an LDS or whomever it is, is the best thing to do nor should it be provoked in this case....Not trying to butt heads AWAP, I just dont agree here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom