Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCU5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After hearing stories of people's bags getting lost, or ending up in the wrong country... Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

I'm talking:
-BCD
-Regs
-Wetsuit 3mm or lighter
-Fins (full foot or strap w/ booties)
-Wrist Computer
-Swimsuit
-Basic toiletries and clothes
-Any other necessities I may be missing. (no knife of course!)

Any thoughts, experiences, input?

Thanks!
Jim

I would say no way, if the airline checks your carry on. Even if they don't, I doubt you can get all that gear in a small or light enough bag. My stuff weighs around 20kg, and the carryon limit is around 6kg or 8kg for most airlines.

I generally carry on the things I would least like to rent or replace.

-BCD
-Regs
-Wetsuit 3mm or lighter
-Fins (full foot or strap w/ booties)
-Wrist Computer
-Swimsuit
-Basic toiletries and clothes
-Any other necessities I may be missing. (no knife of course!)
I've been thinking this, so here's one solution:
-BP/W, kydex or similar lightweight PB and tropical wing. Self made bag attached to BP making it a backbag
-Fins, wetsuit and regs in the backbag
-Computer and compass on the wrist (or pocket)
-Passport and tickets and money
Other things are easy to buy in most places around the world, so I don't take anything else.

Sure it's possible, at least on US airlines. The only thing I have that will not fit in a max sized carryon is my fins. They are too long to fit but some of the shorter length fins, force fins or those ones that break down into 2 pieces would do. Or just leave the fins, of all my equipment, they are the piece I don' t mind renting. With a 6kg limit you might have problems but if you can break it into 2 pieces (1 carry on and 1 personal) you could most likely get by. So far I have not had an airline weight my carryon.

Only if you want to tick off the other people in your isle, and the flight attendants.

i carry on everything except my fins. i use a bag that is the largest you are allowed. i am able to fit everything in it except for my fins. they go checked. i just dont trust the airlines with my stuff.

Russ

I knew an instructor who flew carry on with all his gear (without knife, tanks, weights). He flies within the state and did not get hassled by anyone until someone in line with whom he had been speaking mentioned to TSA that he was carrying a ton of junk that was heavy. He now splits it into two bags easily. All airlines are different. China air allows 1 carry on which must be weighed before getting on the plane. Other airlines don't care if you carry on a huge rug or a kayak paddle (yep, I've seen both). I have also seen people turned away at the last second and start bawling because they cannot take their items.

Best thing is to remember if you want to travel without those panicky TSA screenings is that this is equipment and it can be replaced. I carry on my computers, mask, regs, camera & my log book. All the other stuff can be replaced and is fairly hardy for the gorillas in baggage handling.

I carry my regs, log book, dive computer and camera equipment. I insure it all - no way I want to spend the thousands to replace it - but after years of traveling I haven't had a loss and I haven't had to tote a ton of equipment onto the plane. The equipment will probably get lost some day but I have what is essential to me and the insurance company will help me get new gear... it will need replacing by then.

In Canada or at least on Skyservice, you aren't allowed to put your reg's in carry on.
They said you could gas the plane and breathe off your reg's to take over the plane.
I'm not sure where they think you are going to get your supply of air from, and I always thought you guys had it worse than we did.

After hearing stories of people's bags getting lost, or ending up in the wrong country... Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

I wish that dive travel was of broader appeal, maybe Myth Busters could expose these "stories" as the .001% occurance that they are.

"Triple tag" your luggage with three separate laminated (at Kinko's) tags that display all of your flight numbers, airport codes, dates and of course- your destination name, address and phone number. Tie them on with waxed string (Wallmart Craft Section).

The idea is to make sure that the bag always winds up with one tag that will show them where to send it.

Is it possible to carry-on a full set of gear?

Sure- On any given flight, you can see boneheads carry-on Pelican cases for cabin overhead storage. Think about it.

Now that is really funny.

Back
Top Bottom