certifications and travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevenschwartz

Registered
Reaction score
Question for my kids new PADI certifications. Has me mystified. I have been SSI certified for 20 years - open water is open water.

My daughter (17) has an open water certification that supposedly goes to 60 ft.
My son (13) has a Jr. open water one that supposedly goes to 40 ft.

So if we go to Cozumel next winter will SCC not let them dive on the first tank of a 2 tank dive? Do they need to pay padi for a further certification so they can go 20 or 40 feet deeper? I believe deeply in training for safety, but this seems designed to provide a constant revenue stream to PADI.

Steve

I believe it is because both of those levels are shallower than the supposed Narcosis depths. The AOW deep dive (certifying to 30m) and the Deep diver speciality (certifying to 40m) introduce a diver to these affects and how to deal with them appropriately (supposedly) whilst under qualified supervision. I think it depends on what instructor really.
Personally i learned a great deal when doing these courses, but i had dived beyond the certified dpths before doing them.

Steve, as I understand, my son's SSI junior OW card limits him to 40 ft, until he turns 12. Now he is 12, his OW card limits him to 60 ft.

PADI certification is no different than SSI's certification. So it is not PADI specific. Card limitation has nothing to do with real life readiness. Maturity, ability to judge risks and the dive environment, careful dive planning, ability to manage underwater events are what is needed to dive deeper.

I feel that a C card, whether AOW or deep diver specialty card has little to do with a diver's ability to go beyond a certain depth. Other factors are more important, and much less artificial.

Question for my kids new PADI certifications. Has me mystified. I have been SSI certified for 20 years - open water is open water.

My daughter (17) has an open water certification that supposedly goes to 60 ft.
My son (13) has a Jr. open water one that supposedly goes to 40 ft.

So if we go to Cozumel next winter will SCC not let them dive on the first tank of a 2 tank dive? Do they need to pay padi for a further certification so they can go 20 or 40 feet deeper? I believe deeply in training for safety, but this seems designed to provide a constant revenue stream to PADI.

Steve

All certifying agencies have similar suggested depth limits. There is know one in the water going to enforce those limits. As a certified diver you are responsible for how deep YOU go, not the agency....but the general sugg. depths are to serve as a good guide as you gain experience.

As to your Jr. O/W diver....again it is suggested and probably enforced by honest dive charters that your Jr. be supervised by a 'certified' parent or guardian or dive with a dive Pro.

My Advanced Trimix certfc. says 330ft as a suggested limit.....could I go 350ft...sure with 'experience'.

Never dive beyond your skill and experience.

Good luck and have fun and be safe!!!

:wink:

Thanks Tex for your reasoned answer. Prior to next winter we are taking the kids to the keys this summer for a week of 45 foot diving. I think the most important safety aspect at any level is not going far beyond experience without careful supervision.
i think the courses are extremely valuable, but not a magic elixir against the danger inherent in diving.

Back
Top Bottom