Planning a trip...destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanze

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I looked through the first few pages of threads and could not find anything specifically dealing with this topic. My dad and I are planning a long weekend get-a-way. Neither one of us fish and we both work high stress jobs that involve long hours. At my request, I asked him to go away on vacation (just the 2 of us) so we could actually spend some time together. We both dive, but hardly ever get to do so. Therefore, we decided we would go on a dive vacation.

If you were going to go away for ~5 days, and want to sit on a beach and dive 2-3 times over the 5 days, where would you go? I would love to do something unique, especially something where I can see sharks. I have a long time fascination with sharks, so I thought of doing something like Walker's Kay, where sharks are common.

I have about 50 dives logged, but most of them where when I was younger. I do have an Advanced Cert and several specilties under my belt, but still don't consider myself a very avid diver. Any recommendations? I will likely fly out of Philadelphia.

Thanks.

If you're not going until late summer this would be different.

It sounds like some advance skill freshening and gear testing would be good trip insurance.

Have a blast, I wish I had the opportunity to make such an outing.

Pete

Wanze, welcome to scubaboard where everyone has an opinion.
Here would be my choices:

Anytime of the year, Key Largo is only 1 hr from Miami and seems to have something for everyone - wrecks, reefs, etc. Lots of flexibility for a weekend or a week plus and lots great choices of operators too. Check out the Florida Conchs forum.

The closest one to you and one that I've heard alot about and is on my "do soon" list is the wrecks along the coast of the Carolinas once the waters start to warm up. They also have dives for megalodon teeth. Someone recently posted one of these trips coming up if anyone wanted to join them.

For Sharks, the Great Whites of Guadalupe (in cages) with San Diego Shark Diving - 5 day liveaboard - fly in and out of San Diego where trip includes charter bus to Ensenada, Mexico. Those trips run from Aug - Nov. Truly an awe inspiring experience of a lifetime.

Whereever you go, you and your Dad will have a blast together.

Have fun and dive safe.

That's what came to my mind immediately, too.

I like the idea of a refresher as well.

How about Roatan? I just came back from a week at Fantasy Island Beach Resort and it had a nice beach, convenient boat or shore diving, lots of food to eat and was a nice quiet place to relax. The shark dive there is fantastic and reasonably priced.
Check out the Bay Islands forum for more info on Roatan.
I'll reiterate the suggestion of some refresher dive training for both of you. Should be able to do a "scuba review" in the pool with a local instructor in about 1/2 day to refresh all your skills.
Enjoy...

Yeah - I agree. With only 5 days, and leaving from Phili, then I think the Bahamas are definately THE best bet. Loads of sharks down there too, and nice relaxing tropical beaches to forget the high stress jobs - lovely weather. Ahh I can just about taste the cocktails now.

Thanks for all the input so far. Afte doing some early morning research, I think I might prefer to do a liveaboard. The main problem is the timing. I don't think I can afford to take a whole week off, and most liveaboards are a week (which makes perfect sense). I will need to keep digging.

Thanks for all the input so far. Afte doing some early morning research, I think I might prefer to do a liveaboard. The main problem is the timing. I don't think I can afford to take a whole week off, and most liveaboards are a week (which makes perfect sense). I will need to keep digging.

If you can do a full week liveaboard, do it! We are heading out next month for our second one in Bahamas on the Nekton.

If not, I think Blackbeards does some short trips. Check out their website:
BLACKBEARDS-CRUISES.COM

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom