Traveling with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjscpc2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with dive gear in their carry ons? I can just imagine what a bag full of regulators, cameras, mask's and snorkels looks like in the x ray.

event.png

I carry on my regs and computers and they always open it up and fish around.

never had any problems with regs, computer, mask, even my suit once. Did get rejected trying to carry on lead. I even tried reasoning with the lady. "come on, my wife can carry on her metal nail file with a sharp pointy end, which could easily stab someone, but I can't bring 3 pieces (5lb) of rounded lead, secured on a belt, which would be more useless than anything".........blank face, no expression. "NO"

I guess everything has it's limit

It depends upon who is working at the x-ray. When we flew to Florida last fall, the x-ray viewer called a 2nd person over to look at the x-ray image. 1st viewer clearly didn't know what the heck it was, but the woman he called over did and told him to move it along. Just be mindful of what's in your bag. I forgot about a dive knife that was tucked away in one of the pockets and that got their attention. :blush:

When I traveled with my computer in my carry on last september it was actually kind of funny. The TSA guy called someone else over and they both opened my bag to look in it. They pulled out my dive computer and asked what it was. After I explained it to them, the one guy said, "oh ok, in the xray machine it looked something really really bad." lol

yeah, depends on the x-ray operator mostly. We used to get stopped and bags opened every time going through Denver 6-8 yrs ago. They acted like we were terrorists - even our 12 yr old daughter.
Recent years have been completely different. They ask "scuba gear?" as soon as it goes in the machine. Yes, scuba regulators and computers in this bag, camera gear in this bag. They smile and wave us through.
One time recently the x-ray lady was very nice and asked if we minded opening the bag to show them what it really looked like... she called over a group of other TSA agents and they "oooh aaaahh.... now I understand!" when we showed them the regulators, etc. You have to remember, they see pictures of what bombs and weapons look like in an x-ray machine so it helps when they see a bunch of funky wires and pieces and what it really is when a bag is opened!. :D

we pack in one bag - both our reg sets, masks, dive logs
in other bag - camera, camcorder, batteries, chargers
in personal bag/backpack - laptop

:D

There is no real good reason to carry them on.

Experienced dive travelers do not.

There is no real good reason to carry them on.

Experienced dive travelers do not.
You may not, other experienced travelers prefer to and have what they consider good reasons. To each their own.

Untill the boat tells you flat out that the airlines that serve the island regularly loose baggage. It's usualy there by the time the boat gets back though. My 13 year old is small so if he doesn't have his gear he doesn't dive. No wetsuits or bcd's on the island that will fit him.

Just hope that TSA doesn't ask you to tun on your computer to verify what it does. That count down self-check that most of them do upon activation can make you the center of attention faster than a pop princess walking down the streets of LA!!:D

Back
Top Bottom