Backplate & hand luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanessa_ITA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm flying to Playa del Carmen next Tuesday for cave diving. :)

It's the first time I travel with my tec gear and I was wondering wheter is possible to put the backplate in the hand luggage (I'm trying to put as much as I can in my hand luggage...).

Ciao!

I'm flying to Playa del Carmen next Tuesday for cave diving. :)

It's the first time I travel with my tec gear and I was wondering wheter is possible to put the backplate in the hand luggage (I'm trying to put as much as I can in my hand luggage...).

Ciao!

Sure. Why not? It is not a tool nor is it on the banned items list. Why you would carry it on versus simply checking it through escapes me, but sure, carry it on. They won't care.

Are you flying through from Italy or will you have to clear customs (and TSA) in the US?

TSA has no issue with BPW in hand luggage. Took mine to Bonaire a couple weeks ago. Just put the knife in checked or grab a steak knife from a local restaurant and break it off. Ciao!

Thanks guys!

I'm flying from Venice to Cancun via Frankfurt.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to pack my cave gear since I'm not used to.

I decided to put regs in the hand luggage and I was thinking about putting the backplate there as well, 'cause I don't want to be fined for excessive weight :shakehead:

To be honest I'd prefer to bring my primary light in the hand luggage but the Italian airport police wants you to disconnect the battery (which is not an issue) but also to remove the bulb :confused:

So I have to put the put the light in the checked and with the storm case is becomes heavy.

As you see, I'm lost... :thinkingo

I'm flying from Venice to Cancun via Frankfurt..... but the Italian airport police wants you to .....

That's the reason I asked! Our familiarity here is more that of how TSA (The somewhat standardized US airport screening system) decides what is okay on any given day.

If I have learned nothing at all, I know that European gateway cities are quite consistent and logically reasonable as to what you may carry in the cabin. If it makes sense, you can do it, unlike our experiences here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom