Diving in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drvngcrzy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am trying to decide on a location to spend a week diving in January 2009. Any suggestions? Where is a good spot for that time of year? Most likely looking at the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America. Would like to do some kind of resort-Dive combo or something along those lines.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

I am trying to decide on a location to spend a week diving in January 2009. Any suggestions? Where is a good spot for that time of year? Most likely looking at the Caribbean, Mexico, or Central America. Would like to do some kind of resort-Dive combo or something along those lines.

Thanks!

Drvngcrzy - what is your diving experience, what would you like to see, where are you located and flying out from? Your profile is blank, can you fill that out so we can better help with suggestions? Are you traveling alone or with another diver or non-diver? Topside activities needed or just dive dive dive? Budget? Land-based or liveaboard? Luxury or Rustic?

January can be a tough month for almost anywhere in Northern Hemisphere. Sometimes the water can be choppy in Caribbean due to northern winds. Best bet may be to go far south in Carib, like Bonaire or Curacao. Places like Coz and Belize - sometimes the weather is awesome, sometimes the dives get cancelled due to rough seas.

If you can give us a bit more about yourself we can better make recommendations.

robin:D

January 2009. Any suggestions? Where is a good spot for that time of year?

:search: will show you weather patterns for that time of year.

Your best shot for better weather will be from the ABC's Westward to the Bay Islands.

Bonaire and Roatan... most would place easily within Caribbean's top 5 destinations.

I am new to diving (and this board as you can tell). I got certified in October 2007 and dove in St. Lucia in November 2007. I am going to Ft. Lauderdale and the Bahamas in May-June 2008 and plan on doing some diving then.

I am coming from Ohio and will be diving with my girlfriend. She enjoys it, but not as much as me. She wants topside activities. Maybe an all-inclusive resort? She would like to see any big animals, turtles, dolphins, whales, etc. I would like to see sharks, but she wouldnt.

I would say land based and under/around $2,000 each. We can fly from Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, or Indianapolis.

I have looked at Curacao, Bonaire, Bay Islands and Belize. They all seem to be along the lines I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.....

Agree with Roatan, we have 360 degree diving ie can dive either side--weather doesn't matter AND you will have weather (US cold fronts) come into play @ that time of the year...For that reason, do not consider Cozumel, can lose days of diving @ a time(US cold fronts blowing in)......

I am new to diving (and this board as you can tell). I got certified in October 2007 and dove in St. Lucia in November 2007. I am going to Ft. Lauderdale and the Bahamas in May-June 2008 and plan on doing some diving then.

I am coming from Ohio and will be diving with my girlfriend. She enjoys it, but not as much as me. She wants topside activities. Maybe an all-inclusive resort? She would like to see any big animals, turtles, dolphins, whales, etc. I would like to see sharks, but she wouldnt.

I would say land based and under/around $2,000 each. We can fly from Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, or Indianapolis.

I have looked at Curacao, Bonaire, Bay Islands and Belize. They all seem to be along the lines I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.....

Okay, that helps...... I think I would suggest (just my opinion) that you go to Welcome to CoCo View Resort
It's an all-inclusive resort in Roatan, lots of fishlife but not known for big animals. There is a shark-feed dive on the island if you want to see sharks. Lots of topside activities for her and you can dive dive dive if you want as it is all included in price.
They have some good short videos on their website.
Also, ronscuba here on the board has some excellent videos from his trip there. Roatan Scuba Part 1 on Vimeo
and
Roatan Scuba Part 2 on Vimeo
and
Roatan Scuba Part 3 on Vimeo
and
Roatan Scuba Part 5 Swimthroughs on Vimeo
also this one with the sharks:
Roatan Scuba Part 4 Shark Dive on Vimeo

I wouldn't go to Bonaire as there isn't anything to do topside and no all-inclusive resorts. It is a great place to go for 2 people who want to dive dive dive, but not so great solo or when 1 wants to dive and the other isn't that into it.
Cozumel can be good or downright ugly in January due to weather. Belize is just south of there and I think they may have the same problems in Jan timeframe.

As far as seeing dolphins and sharks - Bahamas are the best place for them. But you rarely see big animals in some other places. Turtles are pretty common everywhere. Whales? Not likely except in Hawaii at surface or snorkeling-only trips to Dominican Republic in Feb-Mar.

robin:D

FYI, January is the tail end of rainy season on Bonaire. Might want to keep that in mind. If you were diving all the time, it wouldn't be an issue, but with a less-enthusiastic girlfriend you'll want to consider that rain thing. Like most coastal areas, it rains and then the sun comes out and then it rains again and then, well you get the picture. I spent January '07 on Bonaire and, personally, loved it. Almost half of my day was spent underwater, so I didn't really mind the rain and enjoyed the feeling of having a lot of the dive sites to myself.

So, is the overall consensus that I should go to Roatan? Anthony's Key or Coco View? What does each have as far as topside activities to keep her happy when I cant get her in the water? I read that Anthony's has better food??

So, is the overall consensus that I should go to Roatan? Anthony's Key or Coco View? What does each have as far as topside activities to keep her happy when I cant get her in the water? I read that Anthony's has better food??

I have friends who have done both resorts, the big differences are that AKR allows children where Cocoview is adults only, AKR has a dolphin program, and that Cocoview has the huge wreck for shore diving right in the bay. I was told that the resorts and food are the same. Each resort does slightly different dives as they are on opposite sides of the island, but both resorts do all the best dives on Roatan.
There are lots of topside activities, watch all the videos on Cocoview website.

I have friends who have done both resorts, the big differences are that AKR allows children where Cocoview is adults only, AKR has a dolphin program, and that Cocoview has the huge wreck for shore diving right in the bay. I was told that the resorts and food are the same. Each resort does slightly different dives as they are on opposite sides of the island, but both resorts do all the best dives on Roatan.
There are lots of topside activities, watch all the videos on Cocoview website.

COCOView will allowed certified kids. (those there to dive like the adults) but yes they don't allow non-certified kids per se!

I have taken one of mine (who will dive more than me) without an issue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom