AirTran Charging Extra for Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

High & Dry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just learned that AirTran Airways, which offers low priced flights to places like southern Florida, is now charging a fee of $65 ($75 if its your second bag) each for checked bags containing scuba equipment. Regardless if the bag is within the size and weight limits. This price increase is part of a "certain sporting equipment" exemption, which includes surfboards and bicycles. Interestingly golf clubs are not included in this increased fee, even though they are more bulky and cumbersome than a dive bag.

Initial excuses from AirTran Airways Customer Relations were that all airlines were doing it.... well they aren't. A check of United and Southwest Airlines shows no extra fees for scuba equipment, American Airlines only charges extra for the scuba tank. It also appears that not all AirTran teminals are charging this fee, as it is probably only supposed to apply to scuba gear with tanks, But the bloomington, IL terminal is charging the fee with any scuba gear.

I was told by a Customer Relations agent that since we reserved our flight prior to the new rule, I could get the extra fee waived when checking my bag by talking to a supervisor, but a second agent told me that they could not say what would be waived by the supervisor at the terminal and I shouldn't have been told that. I was alledgedly issued a voucher for $50 to cover part of the fee if charged. The first Customer Relations agent recommended contacting the Corporate Headquarters to complain and told me that the more people that complain the more likely the rule would be changed. Here is some contact information:

Marketing V. P. Tad Hutcheson - 678-254-7442 tad.hutcheson@airtran.com
Customer Relations Manager Judy Graham - Weaver - 678-254-7448 judy.weaver@airtan.com

It's clear from the recent additional charges for second checked bags that if this isn't stopped now other airlines will jump on board.

I often fly Airtran for diving trips to the Keys out of Bloomington. This new fee blows, but I haven't experienced yet. My question would be, why would you tell them you have dive equipment in your checked bag? I have never been asked what they contained. Secondly, I always have my reg and mask in my backpack as my carry-on, will this be included in the "fee for all dive gear?"

I have been so frustrated with airlines as of late, this is just another irritant. I think between stuff like this and the gas prices...I'll continue to frequent all my local quarry's.

Two people in my group left early for the Keys yesterday, I'm leaving tomorrow. Airtran baggage personnel asked them what was in their bags and they replied honestly scuba gear, and each had to pay a $65 fee. Unfortunately most dive bags are easily recognizable and regular luggage doesn't alway protect your dive gear.

I was finally able to file a formal complaint against the policy through their Customer Relations department at 1-866-247-2428 then select option 3 or you will end up connected to some warehouse in Georgia. The more people that complain the greater the chance they will change this policy.

When did this start? I just returned from a trip to FL on AirTran on May 11, and I didn't have to pay for the second bag that was full of dive gear. It was within weight and size limits. I don't like it, but I can understand why they would charge for a second bag. But why extra if it is within all the weight and size limits?

This isn't new, but they have to catch you first. So far I haven't had to pay.
Just make sure your bag isn't overweight and you have to reach in to pull something out.
If the bag doesn't have big dive flags all over it, you'll probably get by.

What if you say it is snorkeling gear and you have your reg in your carry on bag? .....and pack the gear in a bag that doesn't have fin pockets on the side or a scuba flag on it. I guess ultimately the difference between scuba and snorkeling gear at that point would be the BC...I wonder if they would look for and recognize that.

I tried the snorkel gear line and that definately doesn't work - they look at it as the same.
So I just held the line up argueing. The thing is, we are allowed 2 bags each, hubby and I
had 3 between us and 2 were scuba gear. What d*** difference should it make what's in them
as long as they are in the allowable weight limit. They only knew they were scuba gear because
the bag was slightly overweighted and I pulled a reg out of one and got a look of horror from
the airtran lady. "That's not scuba gear is it? You don't have a tank in there do you?
etc. etc.

Cheap suitcase from Target. Good luck identifying it as "dive gear".

No matter what, just insist that it isn't dive gear. Say you have a wierd sex fetish. That ends most conversations fairly quickly.

"How do you expect me to breath with my head up an elephant's butt?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom