Just got back from diving in the bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well unfortanetly my dive trip in the bahamas is over. I left May 12, 2008 on Royal Caribbean's Sovereign of the Seas for a 4 day trip to CocoCay and Nassau. I did my scuba in Nassau since i have had several people say that Cococay had nothing to see. The overall trip was great since I got to do a little diving and also got engaged. Have to wedding set for June 20,2009. Anyways, we stopped for one day at CocoCay which was pretty awesome. I had been to Nassau and Cococay about ten years ago and couldn't wait to go back. But after getting to Nassau I will not be going back. My fiance wanted to do the snorkeling at Cococay. The water was excellent. The only problem was the surface which was really choppy and almost made me sick while snorkeling. Anyways to the scuba. We got to Nassau on Wednesday, May 14,2008 and was picked up by a van from Stuart Coves. We had to ride for what seemed to be about 45 minutes. After we got there we got on the boat and took about a ten minute ride to our first dive spot which I believe is called the sandshoe. Dove down to 88 feet for about 28 minutes. I sucked the bottle down pretty quick. The wall where we were diving dropped down to 6,500 feet. There were a lot of fish but not really a big variety of different species.
Our second dive took us about 3-5 minutes to get there. This spot was called "spotted eagle ray". We dove down to 28 feet. Can't remember how long we stayed down. I am thinking for about 40 minutes but not quiet sure. This was my favorite of the two spots. There were several things that were pretty cool. The first being a shark cage that was used for an episode of mythbusters. The second was a "plane crash" used in JAWS 4. It was just the pilots seat forward with the wings still attached. The last thing I thought was pretty cool were people who had rented these little one person submarines that they were scootin' around on. They will only go 15 feet deep. Visibilty was about 80 feet and water temp was 75. I would defintely dive with stuart coves again. They were more than helpful with everything. They were also much nicer than a few that I have dove with in Panama City. The only thing I was dissapointed with was not seeing any sharks. There really isn't much more to tell about except for seeing a butt load of coral which I could not even begin to tell you what kind they were, just cool.
Diving with the cruise ship was much easier than I had thought. Getting it through customs back onto the cruise ship after the dive was a little difficult but nothing major to deal with. I had my gear in a mesh dive bag and there was a little bit of water dripping out the bottom. The bag was clearly marked that it was for SCUBA and some guy at customs told me I had a leak from my bag. Thought that was kinda funny. I would definitely recommend stuart coves to anyone interested. The island of Nassau was really nasty. My fiance and I were walking down the sidewalk and had a beer bottle thrown at us which missed us thank goodness. Can't wait to get back in the water again.

Back
Top Bottom