Multi-destination dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackrock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone taken a mulitiple-destination dive trip that could share some advice?

I am in the very early stages of considering/planning a long trip after I graduate in 2009. I would like to do several destinations with diving and then perhaps move onto other areas without diving. Initially I thought of diving the South Pacific, Indonesia, Micronesia, Philippenes, and the GBR -something like that. Then I would travel from that area to others without gear. The whole trip would last about 6-12 months.

I have never been to those areas and don't know the general condition of rental gear, etc. I would love to use my own gear and transport or ship it between destinations but I have used some crap rental gear in the past and know it's a hassle. However, gear is just one of my concerns.

If anyone has any advice on general travel to these areas, recommendations for dive ops, recommendations for cheap accomodations, reports on travel there or lessons learned, or any comments in general. Even better if you have any experience doing extended trips with diving or without.

Feel free to ask me any questions - I realize I have been somewhat vague.

Thank you all in advance:)

When I do extended multi-destination trips, I like to take at least 2-3 months to travel. I use companies that offer packaged trips, often for extremely reasonable prices. Personally I used Around the World Ticket: Air Brokers International, Inc. for my last trip: 3 months with destinations including Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia (Darwin, Goa, Cairns and Sydney), New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Tahiti. The airfare was only $1,600 plus $300 domestic in Australia.

I used Undercurrents Traveling Divers Chapbook for some of my research into dive ops, and Lonely Planet and Harvard's Let's Go guides for places to stay.

I didn't carry much gear at all, preferring to rent as I went. I would recommend taking your own reg, mask and fins as well as computer.

If I go to a single destination for an extended period, I do carry my dive gear. However with the added charges for bags #2 and even #1, I may restrict what I take in the future.

Thanks for the advice Drbill.

Nobody else? really? Is everyone on vacation themselves? :11:

Thanks for the advice Drbill.

Nobody else? really? Is everyone on vacation themselves? :11:

most divers do not do trips as long as you are inquiring about. Our jobs do not allow us to be gone more than 1-2 weeks at a time. So it isn't that we aren't here, it is that we have no secific information to give you.

Good point Robint. :wink: Allow me to clarify and amend the original post...

Can anyone give me advice on the following:

* General travel to and within the South Pacific, Indonesia, Micronesia,
Philippines, and the GBR.

* Reviews or recommendations of specific dive ops in those areas.

* General condition of rental gear in any of those areas or with specific dive ops.

* Reports on travel in those areas or lessons learned

* Recommendations for cheap accommodations in those areas

* Any advice or words of wisdom even remotely related to traveling/diving/visiting
the South pacific, Indonesia, Micronesia, Philippines, and the North Eastern Coast
of Australia.

Hopefully that will encourage a few more responses :wink:
Thanks everybody.

I would go with what Dr. Bill suggested.
Bringing your own reg, octo, and computer is definately a good idea. Masks are also something that either fits you right or doesn't. i would probably consider leaving my fins nowadays due to weight restrictions (mine are heavy).I really like the multi destiantion ticket plan as well. wish i had the freedom to do it.
as far as destinations, sounds like you have picked some good ones. With that amount of time, I am suprised that you didn't throw in PNG.
between PNG, Australia, Indo, and perhaps thailand you could mix up a lot of diving and topside. easily enough for 6-12 months, you lucky bastard.
Do all 12 months for us, would you? never know when you may end up a married working stiff living vicariously online.
Congradulations on your graduation, and, enjoy....

Last year we did 3 months of backpacking through Central America and the Yucatan. We went with 1 carryon size backpack each. It wasn't focused on diving so we didn't bring any gear except our masks and snorkels. We rented in the places we decided to do some diving (Nicaragua, Belize, Mexico).

You will be doing lots of moving around so I would suggest keeping your stuff to a minimum. I can't tell you how happy I was to have 1 bag to lug around/keep track of, especially after seeing some people that looked like they had everything but the kitchen sink. We took buses around and if we caught one on the fly, it was no problem to bring it on with us.

You will probably be doing more diving than us, but I would think long and hard before carrying all my gear. We may be going to SE Asia next year and although we will probably be doing more diving than we did in CA, the gear is staying home (we would be traveling around, not staying in one place). While it may cost more, the hassle to us isn't worth it.

Of course, everyone is different and it's your personal preference. Sounds like a great trip. Have a fun time!

If I were making a journey such as you describe my baggage allowance would mostly be taken up with camera gear.

Can I ask what the abbreviations stand for? I'm sure GBR and PNG are totally meaningful to many people, but some of us aren't American and haven't a clue.

I've made several multi-nation trips over the years, and if I expect to go warm water diving I'll take mask & fins and a dive skin. And my computer (wrist watch style). I won't take anything else. I have made similar trips including cold water diving, and I lugged an awful lot of dive gear around for what turned out to be a handful of dives. Trouble is that without much of the gear I couldn't have made the dives at all.

When you say "graduate" incidentally, this is another word that's used differently in English and American. How old will you be at that time?

Peter-

GBR=Great Barrier Reef (Australia)
PNG=Papua New Guinea

When I mentioned graduating it was in reference to completing a university baccalaureate degree or bachelor's degree (undergraduate).

I am older that the typical university student who would graduate at around age 21 or so. I will be 33 by the time I go traveling. Why do you ask this question? Would your advice be tailored to my age range?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom