Couples Negril, Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldstroke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife/buddy is taking us " kicking & screaming " to jam/dive/relax. If you have experienced this resort please give us the lowdown. We love to dive but take everything into consideration. My darling is a critical -care pediatric nurse; I practice law. We want to relax. Your thoughts, please!

My wife/buddy is taking us " kicking & screaming " to jam/dive/relax. If you have experienced this resort please give us the lowdown. We love to dive but take everything into consideration. My darling is a critical -care pediatric nurse; I practice law. We want to relax. Your thoughts, please!
I didn't dive at Couples Negril but I was at the Grand Lido Negril, which is really close to the Couples resort. The diving around the area is nice and easy going. Right now is a good time to go. The dive boat at the Couples resort was a LOT better than the boat at the Grand Lido (we were docked at the same dive site occasionally and I saw it going out at the same time we were going out)

As far as the resort goes, I haven't heard anything bad about the resort. It is pretty nice. Food is decent. Jamaica, Negril specifically, is know as a tourist location. Although Jamaica has other industries, the resorts are very nice. I've been to places with better dive experiences but Jamaica was one of the best all round vacation destinations.

I stayed there for a week several years ago.

The resort is very relaxing, has a nice pool, a very nice beach, and the water is very nice. almost not waves on the beach though as it's in a bay, but the water is crystal clear.

The rooms are nice. We stayed in an oceanfront suite when we went. because of the foliage (trees) between the buldings and the beach, you could barely see the beach. the suite is on the end of the building closest to the beach also. behind them are the ocean view rooms, or views of the trees in front of the ocean, at least on the ground floor. so if I went back, I'd either get a 3rd floor ocean view (so I could actually see the ocean) or just get a garden view room for a discounted price.

The restuarants are set up with a "formal dining room" (nice shirt/slacks for men, dress for women), a buffett style, a patio restuarant, and a burger/pizza bar type.

All drinks and food are all inclusive, but they are wimpy on the alocohol content on the drinks. They will pour more, but you have to ask for it.

They also have a massage spa that we didn't try.

They do several tours from the restaurant. A shopping tour, a tour to Ricks Cafe (which was overated and I woudn't do again, but you might want to visit at least once), a snorkel boat tour / booze cruise).

Dive Operations:

Their boat is an Newton Dive Special 35 or 36 footer. It's a very nice boat and was never crowded. most days was just 5 or 6 people at most. one day with students we might have had 10 peole.

All your diving is included in the price of your hotel room. But they only do 2 single tank dives each day. one in the morning and one in the afternoon. except saturday they do two dives in the morning, one of them a deep dive. saturday afternoon is boat mainteance, etc and sunday they dive crew is off I think.

their morning dive departs around 9am and gets back by 11am. The afternoon dive leaves around 1pm (I think) and gets back by around 3pm. leaving you plenty of time to hit the beach or eat between.

Dive gear is included. when I was there it was sherwood BC's/regs and AL80 tanks. (air only, no nitrox at the time). They also had masks/fins, but they were the cheap snorkel type fins. Once you get set up for the week they have your gear set up on the boat when you get there (if you're using their gear). They also have wetsuits, but I'm not a fan of rental wetsuits. I took my mask, gloves, camera, etc... and just used their rental gear so I wouldn't have to worry about takiny my gear down.

most of the dive sites were reef sites within a 10 minute or so ride of the resort. all the single tank dives were 65' or less in depth. the reefs were in good shape and lots of fish. It was much better than I anticipated.

There is an option of a night dive one or two nights per week if they get enough people. I think there is a $40 surcharge for this. they include dive lights.

you can also get a video of you and your buddy taped. They focus mostly on the divers paying for the video, but include everyone. I saw the 'final version' of the tape in the VCR they had in the resort and it was pretty good and well worth the $40 bucks for what you got.

one thing you'll want to do is go get all your signup and paperwork out of the way as soon as you get there before they close down for the day so you can get on the dive the next morning.

if you want to just go and relax, this is a good place to go. not much to do, but it's relaxing... the best part is just sitting on the beach. the beach faces west so good sunsets.

hope this helps. feel free to ask if you have questions.

mike

I appreciate all of you sharing your expeiences. Now, I am looking forward to going, cannot wait. Thank you.

I was there Feb of 06 and had a blast. They resort is really nice. Very relaxing. The bars are a little soft on the alcohol in the fruity drinks, but if you are ordering a Jack and Coke, you do get a good jack and coke. If you want more alcohol in the fruity drinks all you have to do is ask and they will pour more. When I was getting the fruity drinks I did not care if there was a ton of alcohol in them because they tasted good and they did not cost anything, and the fact that we started drinking around noon.

I got certified there, so I did not go there expecting to dive. The instructors were very nice. Carl was my instructor and he was a super guy. All I did was my certification dives because by the time I did the course it was getting close to time to fly home, and we had a few other things planned while we were there. We are planning on going back in Feb of 2010. We were going to go next Feb but my wife is pregnant and due in Dec, so we are making plans now for the following Feb. Water was nice. I did my dives in shorts and a t-shirt, vis was the best I have ever seen, but then I am diving in mud holes in the midwest now.

It is a great resort with great people. You will have a good time.

Phil

If you like Couples Negril, then you'd really like Couples Ocho Rios. It has a lot more atmosphreere and better food. (not that Negrils was bad).

Didnt dive there as they said I had to sign up a day in advance and i was only there a couple days.

the beach isn't as nice though. but it has more of a mediteranian feel to it and the whole resort.

They also have a package called "double take" where you can stay at both resorts while there and they fly you between them on a chartered plane.

Coldstroke- When are you guys going to be at Couples?? My Fiancee and I will be there at CSA celebrating our honeymoon from the 12-18th of July...

And defiinitely looking forward to some diving... I understand they all dive the same areas...

Both of us are newly cert'd, and looking forward to better conditions than our cert dives...
67 F degrees and 2-3 viz...

In regards to losing a day of diving due to the sign up a day in advance rule. If I have a client going to one of the Jamaican all-inclusive resorts that includes diving, specifically for the diving, I email the resort ahead of time to make sure they get signed up for their first full day of diving before they get to Jamaica. This also let's the dive staff know ahead of time that they are there for the diving.

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos

We stay there 4 times. Love the place. It's not as wild as Hedo, and not as formal as Grand Lido. FOod & service are excellent. We've always booked a garden room and got an upgrade for free. Try to take TimAir and not the bus, you'll save yourself about 2-2.5 hours. Make sure the room service door tag is on you door BEFORE midnight to get you eary morning stuff.

Diving is great, never on our last trip was there more than 4 on the boat for the early dive (9am) The 11am dive had more people (recovering from partying). Bring your own gear if possible, the stuff there is very used. They will store it in the shop so you won't have to worry about hanging it on the balcony to dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom