Which dive insurance do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JTDivers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Everyone,

I know this is an old topic, however I have not seen this exact question posted. My wife have dropped the ultimate two week dive trip bombshell on me by planning a two week dive excursion to Fiji. We are going to purchase the "Dive Trip Insurance", however there are several out there and we would like to know which one to purchase. We are both insured with the Preferred Plan with DAN, but we have been directed toward "CSA Travel Protection". If anyone can shed some light on this issue, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks and Dive Safe,

Insurance plans are not cumulative, they overlap.

I've had DAN since the 90's. I've had no problems with them.

Your title is confusing as Dive Insurance and Trip Insurance are different.

Compare prices and benefits of your CSA to Buy Travel Insurance & Compare Travel Insurance Plans | TravelSafe and let us know what you think? I think it is prudent for the average tourist diver to take some trip insurance, but plans vary. A quick comparison of rates based on hypothetical ages and trip costs gave me same fare quotes. :hmmm:

However, a quick comparison on that hypothetical trip shows that Travel Safe would offer $2,500 luggage protection vs CSA $1,000 - and this is an important feature to me since airline has greatly reduced liabilities on International trips plus no liability on damaged scuba gear or electronics of any kind.

Travel Safe offers twice us much medical insurance as CSA - another area important to me personally. The extra coverage does not cost the insurance company that much as claims in that range are quite rare, but if you ever need it - you need it.

CSA include rental car insurance, probly not important for your trip - and I would not rely on it in case of a problem in a foreign country.

Don,

Thanks for your information. It was not my intention to generate a confusing title. We are looking for the travel/trip insurance for an upcoming trip to FIJI. We were deciding between the CSA and DAN. I was unaware of the Travel-Safe plan that you recommended, so we will be looking into that one as well. We feel that some form of trip interruption insurance is a must "Just in Case". Since this is our first time taking a policy out we felt that we would call upon the experience of our fellow travelers for their input.

What if any have you experienced with the DAN travel insurance? Any claims filed and what type of customer/client assistance did you experience during the incident?

Thanks again

Okay so you're looking for Trip Insurance info. I've only filed two small claims with Travel Safe over the years but found them to be friendly, fast, and fair. I imagine all trip insurance companies pay as promised on their brochures. I have also found that while DAN is the best in Diving Insurance, they may offer other insurance plans with outside vendors because members requested them - but the plans are so bad as to be absurd. I found this true comparing DAN's camera insurance to State Farm's Inland Marine coverage, but I have never done a comparison to DAN's Trip Insurance.

I'm rusty on doing insurance comparisons and spread sheets on Works, but I think you may find this interesting. I did it on Works, but SB does not support such attachments so here is a screen shot. Make of if what you will, perhaps use it as a guide to do your own comparison. I did use Arizona as home state, BTW. But again, it looks like the DAN plan sucks...

The primary consideration for me traveling internationally is non-accident medical coverage, but in this comparison...
Travel Safe: $368 cost: $100,000 benefit
CSA: $440 cost: $50,000 benefit
DAN: $636: $40,000 with Umbrella benefit​
My next consideration is how well they cover luggage, as international flights have $900 or $1250 limits, and then there's other luggage risks. TS: $2,500, CSA: $2,000, DAN: $1,500.

BTW, the DAN policy does not include emergency evacuation as it assumes you have it with DAN dive insurance. This coverage is redundant with the other two, but since it doesn't cost anything, I like being well covered there. I think I have heard that CSA does not cover return of bodies, but if I died even from non-diving reasons, I think my daughter would want me returned; you could ask them...?

plans.jpg

WOW!!!!!!
What can I/we say to your response other than THANK YOU!!! For some absurd reason, the wife and I have been stalling on this policy simple because we both failed "insurance fine print analysis 1-A" in college and trying to make sense of the little disclaimers is like attempting to learn a foreign language in a weeks time. How was that for a run-on sentence? I recalled seeing your tag at the bottom of one your posts on a different topic regarding trip insurance about two weeks ago. Printed it off and gave it a read. Very informative and a wealth of information for both of us. Your input is very much appreciated. With any luck we will be making a decision here in the next day or two.

Thanks again,
Trevor and Jamie

WOW!!!!!!
What can I/we say to your response other than THANK YOU!!! For some absurd reason, the wife and I have been stalling on this policy simple because we both failed "insurance fine print analysis 1-A" in college and trying to make sense of the little disclaimers is like attempting to learn a foreign language in a weeks time. How was that for a run-on sentence? I recalled seeing your tag at the bottom of one your posts on a different topic regarding trip insurance about two weeks ago. Printed it off and gave it a read. Very informative and a wealth of information for both of us. Your input is very much appreciated. With any luck we will be making a decision here in the next day or two.

Thanks again,
Trevor and Jamie
You're very welcome. I sold a lot of insurance with similar comparisons in a former life; like I said, I'm rusty - and I did not read all the ifs, ands, buts, excepts, but I think the TravelSafe policy is a good choice for the money. Now you really want to buy it within 15 days of booking the first part of your trip, i.e. the plane ticket, the package, whatever - so it will cover any pre-existing conditions, such a relative with a chronic problem, or whatever. That seems to have been dropped from the brochure but is still in the conditions.
[c]
Link: Buy Travel Insurance & Compare Travel Insurance Plans | TravelSafe
[/c]

Hi Don,

I need to pick your brain on a couple of things. I forgot to mention that my wife sprung this trip as a "birthday gift" so she had planned and payed for it a while ago. Since she did not purchase the trip cancellation insurance shortly after her "initial" payment, does this negate any trip cancellation insurance we may purchase? We were talking about the "What Ifs" and thought that this insurance would be a good investment in comparison to the total cost of the trip. We experienced a last minute trip cancellation to Maui in 05 due to a horse riding accident my father was involved in, so we are a bit gun shy on trip if you know what we mean. Any pearls of wisdom on this or am I just thinking too much on the topic.

Sincerely,

Trevor and Jamie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom